You do it electronics in Mass?
Apr 28, 2007 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pkshiu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am thinking about building my first CMOY. I have not been to it for years, but there is a store call "you do it electronics" in MA. I remembered they use to carry stuff for hobbist. Any DIY'er in the New England area use them, instead of going to RS or order parts online?

Thanks,
P.K.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 4
I use them all the time to pick up extra parts and stuff. Be warned that youre not going to find the highest quality volume pots there, but everything else should be relatively good, you just have to search through for an opamp that works for you. They have some nice stripboard to work with that i like more than the ratshack layout, but youll have to figure out your own layout. At one point i did build a cmoy with parts just from there, but i think its a tad more expensive (less than $10 more) than mouser.
Executive summary: I love the place, but if youre buying a bunch of stuff just use mouser.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use them all the time to pick up extra parts and stuff. Be warned that youre not going to find the highest quality volume pots there, but everything else should be relatively good, you just have to search through for an opamp that works for you. They have some nice stripboard to work with that i like more than the ratshack layout, but youll have to figure out your own layout. At one point i did build a cmoy with parts just from there, but i think its a tad more expensive (less than $10 more) than mouser.
Executive summary: I love the place, but if youre buying a bunch of stuff just use mouser.

Thanks. Exactly the info I needed. I just want to find a place other than RS to pick up supplies for my first bulid. Last time I solder something was a micro-computer many years ago. Just want to pick up a new solder iron, DMM etc. And maybe a good place for switches and case -- but not volume pots!

Thanks.

476292633_75f1cd65eb_m.jpg

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, YDI is pretty good for tools (irons/DMMs) but their prices aren't a WHOLE lot better than Ratshack. (Though they do have a much better selection.)

I got all the parts for my second CMoy there, as I didn't want to place an order anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back