You can teach kids just about anything
Jul 1, 2004 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
My 10 year old son is my best buddy and we do just about everything together. I had been teaching my son to weld while I could and he was getting pretty good at it. I can't really stand close while he welds because of the magnetic field but I can inspect his work when he's done and he really impressed me with his weld on a valve cover from our old race engine. He welded on a -10AN male bung to use with the vacuum pump and did an awesome job. We have the motor for sale and I needed to get the cover welded and was gonna take them to my shop to have one of my welders do it. My son stepped up and said he could do it and I was so shocked I let him.

DSC05261.JPG

The casting is a bit dirty but his weld is very clean and after I polish and sand blast the area,you'll never be able to tell where he welded it.

the cover looks like this and after it's blasted the weld area will look the same.
DSC05263.JPG

I have seen a bunch of adults who could'nt weld aluminum this well and this just goes to show what you can teach a young,willing mind. My son is mechanically inclined and has a tool box and works on his own stuff but I think I could teach these skills to any kid who is patient enough.

This kinda reminds me of the whole swimming babies thing. My wife was able to teach all my kids to swim as babies while they were not afraid of the water and they are all excellent swimmers. I've seen and heard of this and I now fully understand how it works. I always talked to my two older daughters about technical stuff and I was shocked when my oldest daughter described a problem with her car in vivid detail.

You never know what kids can learn and encourage you to teach your kids as much as they are willing to learn.

Jul 1, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
What's with you and magnetic fields? Are you the tin man?
wink.gif
Or perhaps a pacemaker or something?

I thought children had less manual dexterity, but I guess with time and effort they can overcome that.

Nah, kids are amazing. Mine opens all the child safe cans and containers in the house, even those me and his mom can't open without a hammer and a chissel.

Anyway, congrats to junior for the great job.

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 13
Man, that's a nice weld. Give your son my congratulations!

(I assume you've got a TIG welder?)

I always wanted to learn how to weld, but I've never had the chance.
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
What's with you and magnetic fields? Are you the tin man?
wink.gif
Or perhaps a pacemaker or something?

A pacemaker, I believe.

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Heheh, wow. That's better than my first try. And that was in College.
biggrin.gif

Have you introduced him to Mr. Plasma cutter, yet?
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Ohhhhhhhh! I love plasma cutters,that might be the coolest thing ever invented. I bought another 1965 Malibu a few weeks ago that he and I are gonna do as a Father-Son project and I'll teach him how to use the plasma when we get started on that. He loves the cutter and his hand is getting more steady everyday so he should do well with it.

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Ohhhhhhhh! I love plasma cutters,that might be the coolest thing ever invented. I bought another 1965 Malibu a few weeks ago that he and I are gonna do as a Father-Son project and I'll teach him how to use the plasma when we get started on that. He loves the cutter and his hand is getting more steady everyday so he should do well with it.

Tubes, why couldn't you have been my father
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 13
My son knows that the welders working for me make good money and asked to be paid when he was done
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Tuberoller your son really did a nice job with that TIG weld, you've taught him well. I'm impressed that at the age of 10 he could lay a weld that looks consistant and very clean, not many adults can lay a clean weld like that. With a little more practice he could be doing proffesional level work.

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Ohhhhhhhh! I love plasma cutters,that might be the coolest thing ever invented.

I was doing stuff at my church one time and we had some of those concrete nails or whatever (that are really really strong) and we couldn't cut them and I was like...we should get a plasma cutter...yeah right, I thought it was funny anyway
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back