You are cordially invited to... (not 56K friendly)
May 23, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #46 of 60
Wow, those pics are really great! I wish I had talent like you.
tongue.gif

Good job!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #47 of 60
Davesrose - thanks for posting some of your work. From what I can see, we have very different methods of approach...your work tends to be clean, detailed, and delicate, while mine tends to be quick, sloppy, with very smooth shading. My style leads to an obvious problem - I am unable to capture the little nuances within the human form that your style is able to easily portray. However, through most of my life drawing class I was still working on stuff for my college portfolio, and my charcoal drawings looked good enough so I decided to stick with that and avoid experimenting while I was under pressure to churn out pieces. However, after the whole college thing was done, I began experimenting more with different drawing styles. In my most recent life drawing classes, I began working with graphite and a hatched type shading, as you can see in the fifth piece in my figure series, which I thought turned out exceptionally good. Also, I began adapting that style to my other work, as can be seen in the quick illustration I did for my invitation and the thing I did for the school directory. Now, whenever I doodle or sketch, I apply that technique. I'm beginning to really get attached to it...but I still have a lot to learn with it that only practice can help.

I really like the last three of your figure drawings, especially the two which you included both a white and a black shade. You are able to capture a vast amount of detail with minimal shading. Good stuff.

May 23, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Davesrose - thanks for posting some of your work. From what I can see, we have very different methods of approach...your work tends to be clean, detailed, and delicate, while mine tends to be quick, sloppy, with very smooth shading. My style leads to an obvious problem - I am unable to capture the little nuances within the human form that your style is able to easily portray.

Well everyone's techniques are going to be different....thank god we have different hands so that our work is going to be different
icon10.gif
I wouldn't say that your style can't convey human form. In fact that line work in your invitation is the primary thing that your figure work needs IMO. You either consciously or unconsciously varied your line work in that caricature...I think if you look at my drawings, that's the main thing I'm always trying to do. Even that gesture drawing....which I had less then a minute to draw, implies a lot because the line is varied. I think that's why gesture drawing might help you....while it forces you to quickly block in proportions, you also have to be fluid. It's like a piece of music....do you want it to be the same volume all throughout, or does having some crescendos and dynamics make it sparkle and cues the audience?
icon10.gif

May 23, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #49 of 60
Thanks for invitation and the show. As far as I am concern you can do this every once in a while for your new stuff.

May 23, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #50 of 60
While I'm still trying to digest what Davesrose is saying, I'll post some junkity junk. This is how I keep myself awake in English:

doodles.jpg

And Davesrose, take it easy on me, I didn't have a model in English class
wink.gif

May 23, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

And Davesrose, take it easy on me, I didn't have a model in English class
wink.gif

LOL....I hope you don't take my critiques/suggestions as some way to burn you!
biggrin.gif
You're getting some creative criticism: expect to see a lot more in art school. See...even your doodles have some nice line work and shading in there
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
Eventually, you'll get that with your figure drawings. No, you didn't have a model present, but I can see some good form in there. You're getting something in your boring classes
biggrin.gif
I tended to draw a lot of geometric and abstract things in a boring class
biggrin.gif
Drawing was my primary thing in high school, so I think I took to figure drawing pretty early in college (which then lead to medical illustration for me). Painting in oil paints was the hardest thing for me, as I was just used to acrylics in HS. But I found my foundation with a BFA in painting really helped me out in grad school. The visual arts is so much more varied then the musical arts: while composition is a foundation for many disciplines, the technical aspects of graphic design are so different then fine art, which is different then environmental design, which is different then anything else that you can list.
biggrin.gif
You only have so much time to be good at something....so be selective in what you want to do!
biggrin.gif

But I can go on forever about drawing
biggrin.gif
You can never get enough exposure with other artists IMO: especially in books. I really like Ingres techniques and tried to aspire some to him: even though he sometimes completely blows the anatomy
eek.gif

May 23, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #53 of 60
Very nice work.

Your charcoal work is very heavy handed and overly shaded.

Concentration was my favorite. You are certainly getting a great start into digital painting.

I'd highly recommend trying Painter X. I go between Painter and Photoshop all the time. I'd say I spend about 90% of my time with Painter, though. It's more of a PITA to use than Photoshop, but the brush engine is light years better than Photoshop's.

Good luck at RISD. Consider also a career in Industrial Design. Industrial Design has such a large range that even covers graphic design and pure illustration. Along with 3D work. Although, if you like drawing stay away from 3D Modelling. You'll just end up being a CAD jockey.

-Ed

May 23, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #54 of 60
Oh yeah, and since you're in Cleveland, don't rule out Cleveland Institute of Art. They have an excellent Industrial Design program there. Also, my Alma Matar, the University of Cincinnati DAAP has a good Industrial Design program as well (well at least when I attended.)

-Ed

May 23, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #55 of 60
i like your style, mrvile.

your strongest work is your drawing. you have excellent composition and control of light and dark, and there is an emotional element especially to your portraits that will evolve and grow in your work as you go on.

May 24, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #56 of 60
Edwood - The six schools I applied to were SVA (NYC), SAIC (Chicago), Pratt (Brooklyn), Cooper Union (NYC), RISD (Providence) and MICA (Baltimore). I got into all of them except Cooper Union. Although I realize that the CIA is a good school, I just can't stand Cleveland anymore and really want to get out of here.

As for charcoal, I'm pretty good with it but hate using it (I never feel like I'm in control and it's a mess), and as I do more work with graphite and digital, its usage might get prioritized back.

Over the summer I took a precollege course at SVA in Computer Arts. I learned a lot but I didn't like the work, it was just tedious pushing and pulling vertices in Maya for seven hours a day. I made some pretty cool things but I just can't see myself doing that kind of work all the time.

And finally...Photoshop is like my home program right now, I use it to do my photo editing so I'm pretty familiar with the basics. I know Painter is a more powerful program for doing art, but I don't really like using it...I'll have to really learn it sometime because it will be valuable later on.

Redshifter - Thank you!

May 24, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

As for charcoal, I'm pretty good with it but hate using it (I never feel like I'm in control and it's a mess), and as I do more work with graphite and digital, its usage might get prioritized back.

You've mentioned that you want to either get into graphic design or illustration. If you decide on illustration, my suggestion is to take as many drawing and painting classes as you can! IMO, the greats in illustration all either came from or had the principles of the fine art of drawing/ painting pretty well down. Digital painting/ drawing is just an extension of traditional techniques. You can get some invaluable education in color theory with painting classes (where you learn to modulate color instead of just shading one hue). And with painting, really studying the old masters helps you see how shading with complimentary hues can really help add depth to a painting. John Sargent is a great example of someone who started off as just being a tenebrist painter (just rendering form with a varying hue and didn't modulate color) and then to a more mature colorist (he became influenced by impressionists later on and got into color modulations later in life). Once you start getting into color modulation, your paintings become more alive IMO. Taking more drawing classes will help you improve on your line weight with your drawings as well.

What's funny is that I was really into drawing and painting and thought I'd just be an illustrator....but I'm doing a lot of 3D modeling now
biggrin.gif
There's a demand for that with medical illustration, as there isn't really much accurate human anatomy that exists in 3D. It's cool though....I'm modeling internal anatomy and will eventually have a complete human anatomy dataset. Gotta find something to contribute to
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #59 of 60
Nice collection of art pieces you got there. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You should show a gallery exhibition.

My sister is an animator for a big-time art studio and she regularly holds gallery exhibits of her artwork (as a hobby). Let's just say she makes more in that one night than I make in a year.

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #60 of 60
biggrin.gif
Thanks for giving this thread a little bump, flamerz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back