You are a skilled headphone DIY'er. I have cash. Let us help each other.
Sep 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 36
indeed they would be quite cost and power efficient as well as great in the sound department, they also have decent imaging capabilities making them effective for game immersion (which is what the oculus is trying to provide).

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 36
I finally put up my post about the headphones I'm chopping up, so I can get back to this.  I think there is a good chance the oculus is going to be a big thing in gaming, so I though I'd post what little I looked at.  There are a lot of ski goggle attachments, as has been posted already (like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Von-Zipper-Dojo-Goggles-Skullcandy-Skullcrusher-Headphones-ski-snow-NEW-160-/00/s/NDM2WDQ0Nw==/$%28KGrHqQOKjoE6WIlI-w,BOv1Sm4Mgw~~60_35.JPG ).

If you want something that is more part of the package, you could use one of the headband camera mounts (like: http://cms.arscolor.com/storage/sito155/basetta.jpg ), and attach a simple hing with some mechanical resistance; tight enough to stay where you set it.  Then throw on the ksc-75 at the other end of the hinge.  Just have the mount clip in front of the ear so the hing holds the driver against the ear at a more natural angle.  That's about as simple an answer as I can come up with.  Anyhow, good luck with the oculus.

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #18 of 36
One side of this to consider is that audio is a large part of the VR experience and many on head-fi are serious (aka picky
biggrin.gif
) when it comes to their headphones.

I personally would prefer if the Oculus didn't integrate headphones into the headset. That would let me use the Oculus while continuing to listen with my newest headphones or headphone amp. With the Oculus display, changes are obviously improvements or not. With headphones and audio, there is no one-size-fits-all and everyone wants something different. Some want the soundstage of an open back headphone. Others need the isolation of in ear. Plenty of people judge headphones by how much bass they have while some value accuracy. 

The only way I see of pleasing everyone is to let each person choice for him or her self. 

If you were considering this strap to be an optional accessory than please ignore this post! 

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 36
  One side of this to consider is that audio is a large part of the VR experience and many on head-fi are serious (aka picky
biggrin.gif

I personally would prefer if the Oculus didn't integrate headphones into the headset. That would let me use the Oculus while continuing to listen with my newest headphones or headphone amp. With the Oculus display, changes are obviously improvements or not. With headphones and audio, there is no one-size-fits-all and everyone wants something different. Some want the soundstage of an open back headphone. Others need the isolation of in ear. Plenty of people judge headphones by how much bass they have while some value accuracy. 

The only way I see of pleasing everyone is to let each person choice for him or her self. 

If you were considering this strap to be an optional accessory than please ignore this post! 

On the other hand mostly people on head-fi are serious about audio, others will simply continue to use some cheap headphones and would not be really be able get full presence without decent audio? So its a good idea to have a decent quality headphone on the rift itself. However I will suggest it to be detachable or something so even more serious audio enthusiasts can use their own headphones if they choose to.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #22 of 36
I saw a project awhile back that had a series of small speakers around the shoulder area to facilitate positional audio in VR. What about using a series of small speakers around the strap in order to simulate positional audio and maybe somehow directing the sound downwards towards the user's ear?

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 36
biggrin.gif

I agree with this. Palmer, it may be more beneficial to spend R&D time figuring out how to make the rift/head-strap integrate and be comfortable  with 3rd party headphones. Perhaps you could use a thinner and lighter material for the strap so over-ear headphones seal properly. Or design the straps to hug higher up the head, away from the ear.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 36
Looks like Palmer got the latest Oculus prototype to have optional on-ear transducers, and that it is quite good despite its modest appearance:

Looks a bit like Koss KSC35 drivers, or SportaPro drivers; but not identical.

Sep 27, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #25 of 36
  Looks like Palmer got the latest Oculus prototype to have optional on-ear transducers, and that it is quite good despite its modest appearance:

Looks a bit like Koss KSC35 drivers, or SportaPro drivers; but not identical.

Ya, it immediately reminds me of the koss series headphones/clip ons. This whole thing is a big dilemma if they want to get the sound right on. On one sense I completely agree that everyone should be able to use headphones they wish to use because some of us are extremely picky when it comes to our sound quality while normal people couldn't really care less. i like the fact that this sound apparatus appears to be options. I am EXTREMELY curious what headphone drivers those are/what company is OEMing for Oculus Rift's sound transducers. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 36
  Ya, it immediately reminds me of the koss series headphones/clip ons. This whole thing is a big dilemma if they want to get the sound right on. On one sense I completely agree that everyone should be able to use headphones they wish to use because some of us are extremely picky when it comes to our sound quality while normal people couldn't really care less. i like the fact that this sound apparatus appears to be options. I am EXTREMELY curious what headphone drivers those are/what company is OEMing for Oculus Rift's sound transducers. 

I believe they have specially-tuned HRTF for the integrated audio to optimize the surround sound experience with the Rift, as such 3rd-party cans like what we'd use may not be as compatible with the HRTF at least in terms of realistic positioning of cues. But that's where third-party audio devs for VR come into play, inevitably as VR blows up there will be lots of work put into this.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 36
  I believe they have specially-tuned HRTF for the integrated audio to optimize the surround sound experience with the Rift, as such 3rd-party cans like what we'd use may not be as compatible with the HRTF at least in terms of realistic positioning of cues. But that's where third-party audio devs for VR come into play, inevitably as VR blows up there will be lots of work put into this.

I definitely think that the soundstaging and positional queues that the built in driver + software will give will probably be better than a lot of conventional cans, but I still feel like 'die-hard' audiophiles prefer no software in their chain and straight signal from the source to the diaphragm. I guess that's not the main audience of VRs anyway. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 36
I love my Porta Pros, but I feel that the Ultrasone HFI-15G's would be a better choice. think about it, they are incredibly impactful and dynamic. Any in game or movie explosions will have much more impact with them. They are also lightweight. They have excellent sound stage. As I said I love my portapros but I feel that these ultrasounds could reproduce more realistic sounding audio.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 36
Shamelessly posting in a legendary thread. No excuses.

But I will say that I've tried the Rift Crescent Bay prototype and the audio is indeed not slouching. That hardware is now more than a year old. And the Rift is launching very soon. It's going to be great.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #30 of 36
  Shamelessly posting in a legendary thread. No excuses.

But I will say that I've tried the Rift Crescent Bay prototype and the audio is indeed not slouching. That hardware is now more than a year old. And the Rift is launching very soon. It's going to be great.

When compared to ?

Turtle Beach gaming headphones ? Maybe.

Good Value Low-Mid-fi headphones (HD 558)? REALLY pushing it.

HI-Fi headphones (AKG Quincy Jones)? Impossible.

Actually.... i just wanted to post in this legendary thread. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back