Yoko Kanno's song writing and Sakamoto Maaya
Aug 21, 2003 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MaxHeifetz

Head-Fier
Don't know if this is the most appropriate place to discuss JPop, but here goes. Judging from Yoko Kanno's 2 recent songs, Hemisphere and Tune the Rainbow, both sung by Sakamoto Maaya, it seems as if her song writing is much improved from before. The main theme of each is actually hidden after a long, elaborate (tonally amazing) introductions and the songs fit together very well. Compared to her other written vocal songs, it seems as if her song writing is developing some complexity.

Also...how lucky is Sakamoto Maaya for having a friend such as Yoko Kanno? I mean, she's probably the envy of every seiryuu in Japan. Her voice in the beginning was cute, but undeveloped. Her vibrato was non existant and she sang off key in live performances. Kanno stuck with her always feeding her top notch songs. Now, Maaya's voice has matured...and she is still receiving even better songs. What luck.

Aug 22, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Yoko Kanno's great...haven't heard too much of Maaya Sakamoto...only the opening for Escaflowne....also scored by Yoko K....couldn't stand that show, though....ick.....awful characters....how good is RahXephon?

anyway, didn't know that Kanno wrote Hemisphere...that song's nice...

but Yoko Kanno has got some other really solid stuff as well...like the opening for the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex TV series....i think it was called Inner Universe.....featured Origa [who I can hardly find any info on] and Shanti Snyder..

...the songs featuring Gabriella Robin are also quite nice...whoever Gabriella Robin is.....
confused.gif

Sep 11, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 5
You've all probably heard "Kiseki no Umi", sung by Sakamoto Maaya, intro for Record of Lodoss War TV.
That seems to be THE popular song among anime fans.

Sep 11, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 5
I've always been a fan of Light of Love, the opening theme from the Brain Powerd series I believe. It's the first track off the second OST. Great stuff, one of my favorite of their collaborations.

I've always preferred Kanno's compositional skills over her songwriting skills. I'm very picky about my vocals anyways, so this is no surprise. Either way, just give me "Fish ~ Silent Cruise" from Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex on loop and I'll be happy for the rest of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back