Yodobashi: the Japanese know how to display headphones!
Oct 15, 2003 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
Upon visiting the Yodobashi mega-shopping center in Osaka, I was blown away by the sheer variety and numbers of headphones they had on display (and for audition, though most of them were pretty beat up or connected to horrible horrible sources through frayed wires). Here is a pic of just a fraction of the AT's on display:

yodobashi.jpg

[size=xx-small]W1000's in the upper-right.[/size]

Just to the left of the AT's were vast numbers of Sonys, including the MDR-V6 and 7506, and also the MDR-F1. The MDR-F1 were, unfortunately, the most beat-up pair of headphones I had ever seen. The padding material was all torn up and the metal was all scratched. A crime, to be sure, for the F1's are usually quite pretty (and comfortable) headphones.

yodobashi2.jpg

[size=xx-small]Yodobashi's beat-up MDR-F1's, which looked much worse in person.[/size]

They also had a full line of Stax headphones, including the Omega II's. I really wish electronics megastores here in the states had this good a selection...

Unfortunately, my camera ran out of batteries before I could take a full range of pictures of the "wall of headphones" they had there. It reminded me of the wall of headphones and gear they have over at headroom.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 18
Utsukushii....

biggrin.gif

I think I'd be tempted to grab one of those lovely looking Audio Technica's right off the rack and walk out with it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's like Head-Fi heaven right there. We definitely need a place like that in the States, preferably on the west coast
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 18
Some of my friends just came back from Tokyo and they spent a couple of days at Akihabara just roaming around. Sigh, if it weren't for my business trip, I'd have been there with them. Well, at least they were kind enough to bring back a set of Eggos for me.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 18
Wow, and I thought I was impressed when I walked into a dutch shop where they had the grado SR line hanging on a wall, with most of the senn line, beyers and some other lesser known brands.
This looks even more impressing I guess.

Pity they used such poor sources though, much like what you are describing.

Oct 15, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent
Wow, and I thought I was impressed when I walked into a dutch shop where they had the grado SR line hanging on a wall, with most of the senn line, beyers and some other lesser known brands.
This looks even more impressing I guess.

Pity they used such poor sources though, much like what you are describing.

What shop was that and where?

Oct 15, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
What shop was that and where?

Hi Lisa, it was Snijders hifi in Rotterdam, their website is @ www.snijders-hifi.com
One of their salesmen is very into HP listening and knows a lot...very very good store.

Oct 15, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Another excellent place with lots of headphones is the Yamagiwa store in Akihabara. The widest selection of headphones I have ever set eyes on in one store, including the R10, K1000 and Stax Omega II. Full range of Senns, Beyers, AKGs, Sony, AT, Ultrasone and others including Shures. The Etys were the only ones missing in their line up.
A must see store if you are in Akihabara Electric Town, Tokyo

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 18
ddriveman - Yamagiwa is a great place. If I could only go to one store in Akihabara that might be it, unless the three floors of component vendors across the road near the iron bridge counts as one store. Do you know it? It isn't the component stalls that adjoin the station but it is over the road, looks like a couple of little tool stores from street level. If you go inside the alley opens up and you're in a building with a central elevator. Everything from really nice enclosures to tubes.

Oct 17, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 18
The Yodobashi in Sapporo was the exact same way. Interestingly enough, it was the same thing with the F1's...they were in horrible shape. As cool as it was to look at them, the sound feeding them was horrible. All the cans sounded awful. Only the HD-580s were ok. I think this was just because their impedence is so high, and they are a relatively laid back, so they did not sound as bright as the rest. I found the AT phones to be painfully bad. I think it was the source though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back