YO! Anyone use the DT770's for rock?
Feb 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RoosyRooster

Head-Fier
Hi I've been looking for a pair of closed headphones. I pretty much only listen to rock. (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, STP, RATM, RHCP, Alice in Chains, etc.) I have a pair of SR80i's which I like a lot!

I've been looking at the DT770's because they look really comfortable and I've read good reviews.  I'm worried about the bass. Does the bass over power the vocals and guitars or do people exaggerate the bass? And is an amp really needed? I'll also be using these for gaming. Hope you can help! 
dt880smile.png

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 11
If you are looking at the 250 ohm version, then *yes* an amp will be required to get the volume and bass you need. The MMX 300 uses the 32 ohm version of the headphones.

If you look here, you will see that there are three different versions of the DT770 Pro: 32, 80 & 250 Ohms.
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-pro-32-ohm.html

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 11
No, the bass is not overpowering. However, the mid to low treble is a bit recessed. I tend to add a very slight 1 or 2db boost around 3k to 5k for female vocals etc myself but it's not a big change. And yeah if you get the 250ohm versions get an amp. Preferably a good DAC/Amp combo like the E07k.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Generally the higher the impedence the cleaner the sound etc but the more amping it needs. I've only personally listened to the 250 ohm DT770s, so this is pretty much repeating what I've read elsewhere on this site. That said, the difference in sound isn't that big from the various impedences of it. If you go with 250 or 800 ohm versions you WILL need an amp.

Note that a good DAC really brings these things to life. The difference in sound on good source material is freaking huge.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 11
Which ohm is better for the music I like? And is there a cheaper amp I could use?

The answer depends on the amp used. The different impedance versions are intended to be used with different types of amps that have different output impedances. A side effect of using the 'phones with *other* than the types of amps they were intended for is a slightly different sound signature.

IMHO, it's really not worthwhile to worry about the difference in sound between the 32, 80 & 250 ohm versions of the same headphone. What *is* important is making sure you have an amp that can work correctly with whatever version you buy.

If you want an amp for the 80 ohm version, you can use pretty much any of the low-cost recommended products: Fiio, CMoy, PA2V2, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back