Yggy a2, agd r7, Terminator or msb analog
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jabba

100+ Head-Fier
Hello audio friends,
I'm trying to decide between these 4 dac's, Yggy a2, agd r7, Terminator or msb analog
Unfortunately I have limited possibility to hear these dac's.
The only one I heard myself is Yggy A2.
I own a Parasound d/ac1500 I like, but it hums and is getting old.
I sold my Auralic Vega as I found it to analytical/sharp.
I value 3d stage, non fatigued natural sound with great details.
I didn't want a overly analytical dac, that makes me enjoy only 1% of my music.
I use lcd3f and Vienna grand Beethoven for hp/speakers.
Any inputs will be appreciated.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 9
The Terminator would probably be your best bet.
The sound is said to be the most resolving, which can come off as more analytical, but the new versions of the Terminator include a slow filter. As well as having the option to turn on NOS mode, which smooths the sound.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, between MSB Analog dac and Yggdrasil A2, I would go with the Yggdrasil.

Though I've only demoed the MSB Analog DAC (at home), I've actually owned the step up MSB Signature IV Plus model. And I've also owned the Yggdrasil. With MSB, you'll get blacker background, slightly warmer presentation, ultra attacky (but not piercing) treble and very solid bass. But IMO, the raw technicalities are in favour of Yggdrasil, which provides more spacious and 3D soundstrage, slightly better detail retrival, slightly more musical/sweet sound and better overall dynamics against both MSBs (I felt the MSBs were a bit subdued in the midrange in this regard).

And then there is the price difference. Even if you prefer the sound signature of the MSB, technicalities are not better. I would have been more happy with my Signature IV+ if it were significantly cheaper.

I've also demoed the MSB Diamond V with Femto77 clock. I dare to say, this is the best dac I've heard. It also priced ridiculously. It corrects all weak attributes of the cheaper MSBs.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 9
I'd also like to add, that Denafrips Terminator is their first TOTL product, as they are a relatively new company. It's very rare, that a company gets everything right with a first iteration of certain type of product. I would definitely demo it before making the purchasing decision.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks guy's,
Demo is unfortunately difficult.
The only dac I heard is yggyA2 with mjølnir 2 om he1000v2.
I liked many aspects, but missed a groove.
It may be related to synergy, but it got me afraid it's to dry and missed a wholeness.
I use a Gustard u16, so USB implementation is not critical.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Regarding Yggy, I talked to the shop I visited for a demo.
I found that the demo I had was with Yggy usb3. Not Analog2 USB 5.
So one step back again since the never is reported to sound much better and more towards my wishes in sound sig vs Usb versjon 3 Yggy.

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks,
Interesting that he compared the Terminator with ps audio and sets both above yggyA2.
I'm always a bit uncertain about Darko as he seems to have a slightly different music taste than me.
The difference could also set different value regarding sound sig.
Anyone tested the ps audio or compared to the other dac's?

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 9
A quick update,
I have had a dsj with snowmass on loan for a few days.
After the first day I just wanted to disconnect and return it. Sounded so poor.
Then it just kept improving and after 3 days of warm up I love this dac.
It makes my feet tap, gives goosebumps and a wonderful and full sound(stage).
Most important, all my music sound good/excellent with this dac (not only audiophile records).
This is a big big plus for me.
I don't say it's the best dac in the world, but it's so good I'm thinking about just settling for this dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back