Yggdrasil vs Gumby vs SMSL M8
Dec 17, 2020 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mgomespt

New Head-Fier

demo #4 (and last, enough is enough!) of comparison series.

Ok so this time around, Schiit got REALLY serious (I removed the preamp from the equation).

Audio is being captured by a Tascam DR-100Mk2 recorder directly via the balanced outputs of gumby and yggy (and using a RCA to XLR cable to the M8) so there's no room/speakers/amp/microphones (and now preamp) variables as part of the equation.

A bit of background: first of all, if you have the slightest ambition to hear any differences, you're probably better using a nice pair of headphones (or a nice speaker system...just don't use the internal speakers of your mobile or laptop...thought I'd mention....anywayyyyy... links to a share with the raw files are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folder.. ....The youtube compression does worse than the approximation/interpolation math employed on the delta-sigma stuff.

Also, if you play these using a "worse" - for lack of better term - dac, you probably won't hear any difference between the samples...(I know I can't tell them apart when playing them through the SMSL, but I sure can through the yggy.)

The main reason I shot this was to help me find out which Multibit DAC I like better. I found that even though there are youtube videos providing comparison reviews, none of them recorded a head to head comparison of both Schiit MB DACs, so this might help someone else eventually.

The setup: brother DAC stand-off:
- Schiit Yggdrasil with USB Gen3 board (Gen5 on the way on the post, so more comparison videos to follow after I upgrade).
- Schiit Gungnir Multibit with USB Gen5 board.

the oddball:
- SMSL M8 v1 from 2017? a lower end D/S DAC using ESS ES9018 and getting rave reviews and great measurements in www.audiosciencereview.com forums :). Let me start by saying that this was the first DAC I ever bought as an experiment (and due to positive reviews). Powered by Linear External Power Supply.

The three DACs are levelled, and are being fed through Kodi running on an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 connected via USB to a Iso Regen powered by a 9v linear power supply.

DACs directly connected via XLR to a Tascam DR-100Mk2 "pro" recorder using it's highest recording settings into WAV 96khz/24bits. (apparently this is the actual highest quality available under an alternate high quality boot mode)

Music is "You Know I'm no Good" by Amy Winehouse, Live in Porchester 2007, bluray bitperfect ISO, LPCM 2.0 audio track. Shifting every ~15s between DACs.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Thank you for this video. Out of curiosity which of the DACs did you keep or favor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back