yggdrasil technical measurements
May 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #32 of 97
Here are the yggdrasil measurements at 408 hrs of continuous power on time. There was one change in instrumentation, I substituted a picoscope 5243B for the 2205 used in the 3 hr measurements.The 5243B has 15 bit 2 ch ADC capability and higher sample rates than the 8 bit ADC used on the 2205. Everything else is as listed in post #1 of this thread.

The jitter measurements are the lowest I have ever seen on a DAC. This represents a significant milestone in converter development. Congratulations to Mike Moffat and schiit!

20150603 - The THD+N graph measures artificially high due to a driver / OS interaction on my computer. An update will be forthcoming.

Frequency Response

Expanded Y-axis Frequency Response, 0.1 dB / major division

Dynamic Range

THD and THD+N - unweighted - update 20150603 - this measurement is not correct - update coming soon

Intermodulation Distortion

Left - Right channel crosstalk

Jitter - what jitter - yggdrasil laughs at your USB cables - this improved significantly over the 3 hr measurements

For comparison this is the jitter measured for an ODAC

20 Hz square wave response

expanded time base for 20 Hz square wave response - minimal pre and post ringing
exceptional performance for a digital recovery filter

May 18, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #35 of 97
  I have many DACs in my lab. They will all go through this process eventually. I do this in my spare time. To setup, calibrate, measure, recheck, and document the measurements takes between 4 and 6 hours.

Well, let me say thank you for doing this, it's great to see actual numbers and measurements.

May 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #36 of 97
It might be worth mentioning that the ODAC recently received an update in terms of components, and thus performance.
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1003

Here's the new board's jitter measurements as done by JDS Labs with their Prism dScope III (keep in mind that they're using a 24/96 signal at 0 dBFS):
Modulation-Components-11025Hz-1dBFS-REVB.png

That's still pretty darn good for a ~$150 DAC from what I've seen.

I'd be curious to see how the AURALiC Vega compares though seeing as it has a femto clock.

May 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #38 of 97
Someone would have to send me one. The only DACs I have in the queue are those I have personally acquired or have easy access which are as follows:

1. schiit yggdrasil (done)
2. Auralic Vega
3. Violectric V800
4. Mousai MSD192
5. Resonessence Labs Concero HD
6. Matrix mini-i pro
7. Musical Fidelity V90-DAC
8. April Music Eximus DP1
9. Focusrite Forte
10. Benchmark DAC-1
11. RME Fireface UC
12. SoundDevices 702
13. ODAC - original version
14. SoundDevices MixPre-D

Given the amount of time necessary to setup, calibrate, measure and document, and that I only do this in spare time, this is a multi-year project. I may never get to some on the list. It is also somewhat in priority order from my perspective.

May 19, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #39 of 97
^ This is a good list!

Understood about the call on your time: however far you get will be exceptionally valuable - same lab, same equipment, same person, same set-up method means good comparability of results.

Thanks for your work. Real measurements are worth a lot more than armchair speculation before the fact :beerchug:

May 20, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #42 of 97
May 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #45 of 97
  It's a matter of time. Something of which I have very little to spare at the moment. Today is one of my first days away from my corporate schedule in several months.

Yes, please don't do it for anything but your own purposes.  In any case, I'm not going to switch Dacs right now...but I am flexible about inputs.  I hear Moffat likes AES, but I also see concerns that AES may be misdisigned for high sample rate digital and hence more jittery than it ideally should be.  Anything to that for Yggy?  Anyway, just wondering.   Learning more about Yggy inputs is more relevant to me that learning that Yggy measures better or worse than a DAC I don't have and am not considering.

And yes, I can listen, but I can also fool myself listening (especially if there is no difference).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back