Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Jan 30, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #31 of 393
'excitement intensifies' 
popcorn.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #32 of 393
Pretty crazy review!  I hope I get a chance to demo the Yggy at CanJam.  Maybe I'll somehow be able to scam a listen to the HE-1000 on the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil.  (A guy can dream, right?)

Any of you guys with the crazy flagships heard the HE-1000 yet?  I loved it at CES, but there weren't any Stax or Abyss cans around to compare them against.  

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #33 of 393
Pretty crazy review!  I hope I get a chance to demo the Yggy at CanJam.  Maybe I'll somehow be able to scam a listen to the HE-1000 on the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil.  (A guy can dream, right?)

Any of you guys with the crazy flagships heard the HE-1000 yet?  I loved it at CES, but there weren't any Stax or Abyss cans around to compare them against.  

Ask Jason if he has his modded HD800s when you check it out :)

I'll loan my unit to CEE TEE and a mini meet at work (there are several HFers there) to get more impressions once I can buy a production unit.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #34 of 393
Can anyone comment on price for the DAC only? How about a pic of the rear?

Key competitors for me include the Teddy Pardo TeddyDAC, HEGEL H12 and Chord 2Qute.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #38 of 393
I've owned the Gungnir w/USB Gen2 and although there are family similarities in terms of presentation, the Yggy is a completely different beast. Way more resolving, super black background, no grain, better instrument separation, perfect timbre, and just plain better.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #39 of 393

I NEED TO SAVE UP THEN

Obviously, headphones are a better investment than DACs. I plan on getting the HD 800 and Abyss before the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil.

I'll be sure to share them here after I've let them burn in and spent hours with each set. Looking forward to it; AudioHermitMode®

Sweeet.

I'd get the HD800, yggy, and a Vali until I could afford the Rag and decent speakers in your shoes. The Abyss is unnecessary in my mind if you have the space for speakers.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #40 of 393
I'd get the HD800, yggy, and a Vali until I could afford the Rag and decent speakers in your shoes. The Abyss is unnecessary in my mind if you have the space for speakers.

I'm planning on getting the Focal Alpha 50 near field active monitor speakers ($598 for a pair) this year. Pretty curious about whether it would sound better to me than high-end headphones. Although speakers sound more impressive to me, I still favor the presentation of headphones. As for the HD 800 and Abyss, first I need to determine if I even like them in the first place. I may like one but dislike the other -- or perhaps like them both, but only with certain music. No matter how much information I read online, nothing can serve as a substitute for direct experience. But yes, I hope I end up liking the HD 800 more than the Abyss with all genres, since that would save me a ton of cash. I may hear them at a meet soon enough. My plan is to add the headphones to my existing system, then get the Rag and Yggy when I have an extra $4K. Guess that's all the more reason to skip the Abyss, unless, of course, I prefer it that much more. Know what really sucks? In the past, I could have easily afforded all this stuff, but no longer.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #41 of 393
Abyss arrives with me on Monday, will be interesting with regards to your last comment zero (as I run a speaker setup also).

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #42 of 393
OT: since two weeks now I did listen to my sleepingroom setUp which is the Abyss with CavalliLAu and Dynastation III .

Iam personal a UltraFi geek and my main SetUp in my seperate Listening Music Room is a 70000,- € Martion Orgon Four Way active Hornspeakersystem.

I only hear Music from the Theatre Pipe Organ which are installated in original Theatres or Privat Studios. Only the sound of a real Pipe can produce pure sine wave super Sonic Sound, which is very hard to play over Headphones.

The Sound of a big and massive Theatre Pipe Organ is the most complicatet kind of Music to reproduce with Loudspeakers.

I did listen this Music over HD800 and LAu and I could tell you, that nothing happens, its so one dimmension and dull in the bass section. No feeling and emotion, no live sound.

What the hell of diffrent when I did listen to TO Music with the Abyss and LAu, here is live feeling and a bass which did real pressure to my ears.

Iam so happy with this constalation, that I thinking to get rid of all the other bulky equipment.

Ralf

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #43 of 393
OT: since two weeks now I did listen to my sleepingroom setUp which is the Abyss with CavalliLAu and Dynastation III .

Iam personal a UltraFi geek and my main SetUp in my seperate Listening Music Room is a 70000,- € Martion Orgon Four Way active Hornspeakersystem.

I only hear Music from the Theatre Pipe Organ which are installated in original Theatres or Privat Studios. Only the sound of a real Pipe can produce pure sine wave super Sonic Sound, which is very hard to play over Headphones.

The Sound of a big and massive Theatre Pipe Organ is the most complicatet kind of Music to reproduce with Loudspeakers.

I did listen this Music over HD800 and LAu and I could tell you, that nothing happens, its so one dimmension and dull in the bass section. No feeling and emotion, no live sound.

What the hell of diffrent when I did listen to TO Music with the Abyss and LAu, here is live feeling and a bass which did real pressure to my ears.

Iam so happy with this constalation, that I thinking to get rid of all the other bulky equipment.

Ralf

That's a pretty strong recommendation!

Just to clarify - you think it's as good as your 70K speaker setup?

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #44 of 393
nothing can beat a bass which comes from a real large Corner Horn Bass Cabinet ! The whole room is shaking and vibrating but in a well behave manor, because its not a simple bumbum bass, its full active and had been in a two day meeting with the Constructor of the Horn System fully regulated in for this special room.

But did I need all this ? I am now in a part of my live ( 53 years ) where other things count much more for me. Since 5 years now I own a large Airstream Travel Trailer and free time in nature which my Caravan is so much more for me.

So the Abyss give me a very near feeling and impression which I have with the large and bulky horn System, for a small amount of investment. I never had problems with " in head localisation", so when I laying in my bed ( at home or Airstream ) the heavy clear and well structur bass of the Abyss goes to my head on to the pillow and from there I have the feeling the whole Body can feel the large auditorium of a 5000 Seat Theatre.
This is real emotion !

Ralf
PS please excause my horrible english writing, hope you understand what i want to say.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #45 of 393
nothing can beat a bass which comes from a real large Corner Horn Bass Cabinet ! The whole room is shaking and vibrating but in a well behave manor, because its not a simple bumbum bass, its full active and had been in a two day meeting with the Constructor of the Horn System fully regulated in for this special room.

But did I need all this ? I am now in a part of my live ( 53 years ) where other things count much more for me. Since 5 years now I own a large Airstream Travel Trailer and free time in nature which my Caravan is so much more for me.

So the Abyss give me a very near feeling and impression which I have with the large and bulky horn System, for a small amount of investment. I never had problems with " in head localisation", so when I laying in my bed ( at home or Airstream ) the heavy clear and well structur bass of the Abyss goes to my head on to the pillow and from there I have the feeling the whole Body can feel the large auditorium of a 5000 Seat Theatre.
This is real emotion !

Ralf
PS please excause my horrible english writing, hope you understand what i want to say.

Indeed, having your body saturated with bass frequencies is rather special :¬)

Since you have the budget, another member has stated that the Woo Audio 234 out performed the Cav L.Au (my a big margin) with the Abyss. Might be worth auditioning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back