Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 393
  Sorry to ask this, but since many sides are not shown in the photos.. is there any open ventilation holes on the casing? 

Btw the original title at the other site sounds better
ph34r.gif

I'll let someone who actually works for Schiit comment on that.

However, purely speculative, I suspect the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok combo is designed to be stacked just like the other Schiit components. That would mean minimal clearance is necessary (maybe 1/2"-1" on top of the unit).

Yup to both.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 393
Goodness, they're bigger than I had initially thought. Will have to make some room on the desk :¬)

Zero - As did Jude, although not enough to buy the combo (IIRC).

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #18 of 393
  Goodness, they're bigger than I had initially thought. Will have to make some room on the desk :¬)

Zero - As did Jude, although not enough to buy the combo (IIRC).

MF owns the combo. I've heard from quite a few happy customers.

I have mixed speaker/headphone usage and my HD800s are top priority so the Ragnarok makes sense. It's also by far the most resolving SS amp I've heard. The SE out is about on par with my Klone, which I prefer to the balanced output of my previous balanced dynahi which I rank above the GSX MK2. The balanced out on the Ragnarok is a clear step up over the Klone.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 393

MF owns the combo. I've heard from quite a few happy customers. Given I have mixed speaker/headphone usage and my HD800s are top priority, the Ragnarok makes sense atl east until I pick up another of the top tier Eddie Current amps.

It seems to be a dream pair; wasnt the Gold the reference amp used to build/test the Abyss?

I have a dual cans/speaker setup too, making the Rag a rather perfect candidate.

Any idea what DAC MF uses?

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #20 of 393
  By the way zero - have you listened to the Abyss with the Liquid Gold? Would be very interested to hear how it compared to the Schiit setup.

It seems to be a dream pair; wasnt the Gold the reference amp used to build/test the Abyss?

I had a conversation with purrin (Marv) about the differences between the Ragnarok and Liquid Gold. I'm not supposed to post impressions of others, but let's just say that I can safely save a ton of money without worrying about sacrificing sound quality.

The Abyss was developed over a period of five years using an enormous amount of equipment and experimentation. I believe it's just a sort of loose business association between Cavalli and JPS after the fact, since the LAu worked out to be a good match.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 393

I had a conversation with purrin (Marv) about the differences between the Ragnarok and Liquid Gold. I'm not supposed to post impressions of others, but let's just say that I can safely save a ton of money without worrying about sacrificing sound quality.

The Abyss was developed over a period of five years using an enormous amount of equipment and experimentation. I believe it's just a sort of loose business association between Cavalli and JPS after the fact, since the LAu worked out to be a good match.

Thanks for clarifying. 

Should have the LCD-3F, LCD-X, Abyss and Ragnarok here together for some comparisons over the next few weeks, but unfortunately only with the Hugo and Conductor DACs. Would have been perfect to test all that with the Yiggy.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #24 of 393
Should have the LCD-3F, LCD-X, Abyss and Ragnarok here together for some comparisons over the next few weeks, but unfortunately only with the Hugo and Conductor DACs. Would have been perfect to test all that with the Yiggy.

I am especially interested in how the mids of the LCD-3F (which are the main reason I may add it to my collection eventually) compare to the Abyss.

Where will you post your impressions?

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #26 of 393

I am especially interested in how the mids of the LCD-3F (which are the main reason I may add it to my collection eventually) compare to the Abyss.

Where will you post your impressions?

I'll be sure to share them here after I've let them burn in and spent hours with each set. Looking forward to it; AudioHermitMode®

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #27 of 393
  I NEED TO SAVE UP THEN

Obviously, headphones are a better investment than DACs. I plan on getting the HD 800 and Abyss before the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil.

I'll be sure to share them here after I've let them burn in and spent hours with each set. Looking forward to it; AudioHermitMode®

Sweeet.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 393

Obviously, headphones are a better investment than DACs. I plan on getting the HD 800 and Abyss before the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil.

Sweeet.

Well I have the HD600's currently and my wish is to either have the Mjolnir and Yggdrasil or Gungnir combo, or maybe something that comes out that is between them both.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #29 of 393

Sweeet.

Well I have the HD600's currently and my wish is to either have the Mjolnir and Yggdrasil or Gungnir combo, or maybe something that comes out that is between them both.

I preferred Yggdrasil + modest amp over modest DAC + Ragnarok.

I do agree that you should get the transducers that are right for you first, but the Yggdrasil is a fine investment as a long term DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back