Yet another...... which iem's? much help needed.
Aug 21, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #16 of 23
Well, when I did wrap it around my mp3 player I put in my pocket. Now I just leave them hanging around my ears. But when I go to work, I put the earpieces in the carrying case and leave the cable at home. I put the cable in the carrying case once and it is one of the cables that likes to stay coiled for a little bit after wrapping it around something. Like I said, I think I just got a faulty cable. JasonK was nice enough to send me two new ones completely free of any charge. As long as you are careful I don't think you will have any problem with wrapping them around your finger or mp3 player. I will try it again and see if anything happens. Another thing, I skateboard too, so it was probably the combo of a slightly faulty cable, wrapping it around the mp3 player and leaving in my pocket and skating, and a little spray of water from work while doing dishes.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #18 of 23
I have owned pretty much all of the phones in this thread, except for the Westone UM2s (had the 1s and didn't like them much), and so far, none can really beat the SA6s.

For more of a discussion on the SA6/UE SF5 v2 comparison, here's the link

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/n...ackage-348371/

But as I said, after using the SF5s awhile, they seemed to lose their initial spark. Not sure what it was, but I kept going back to the Sleeks. I will say, the UEs are comfy, but not that much more comfy. You can get the Sleeks at soundearphones.com, if you didn't already know. They do ship abroad.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 23
seems the sleeks are all the rage.
i did like the q-jays, if only they had more bass
frown.gif

so were the sleeks that much better than the super-fi 5 v2. im asking as they are cheaper than the sleeks, and again, of course id much rather spend less.

which produced better bass? which would you say are better suited to my type of music?

cheers

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #20 of 23
Again, I just prefer the Sleek sound sig. I feel the Sleek bass, after the bass+ mod, is outstanding, not weak or wanting at all. In fact, I kept wanting to like the SF5s, but I finally just decided they were not worth $169 (I got them directly from UE). They aren't bad, that's not what I am saying. They just didn't match up at all to the SA6s in my view. For $30 more, it was a no brainer for me to keep the Sleeks and ship the SF5s.

However, I will say (again, for the last time), the UEs are very comfy and probably more durable than the SA6s. But that's a secondary issue, to sound, for me.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #21 of 23
these bass ports seem to do wonders for the sleeks, and they appear to be a great iem accross the board.... i take it the sleeks produce more bass than the UE. and by the sounds of it, they would better suit my type of music?

almost made up my mind. just the decision of spending the extra money or not. though UE cant be sent out of the US now. so if i bought them any where else, they would cost a bomb. i was looking at soundearphones. (unless some one in us buys for me and posts here)

and durability is an issue for me. whilst im not rough with my earphones, i just dont want the hassle of them damaging a couple months down the track.

klipsch custom 3's. any one got any feedback on them?

ta

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #22 of 23
for 200 bucks......you have four good choices....

Shure SE420
Etymotic ER4P
Westone UM2
Ultimate Ears Super Fi

My vote goes for the Shure SE420.....however, I have not heard the Super Fi's......I own the Triple Fi's and love the sound sig, but the Shures sound pretty darn good and are just so well built and comfortable. The etymotics are undeniably a standard and up until the Shure E500/SE530, they were really the main universal which all IEMs were compared to. In some ways they are still at the top, but they are very very lacking in that visceral impact which moves me emotionally.
The Westone UM2 are fantastic, if just a tad too warm.........very comfy.

I choose the SE420s because I feel they are the best all rounder and really only get brought up very infrequently because their more expensive siblings are just better in every regard.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 23
Not sure why you don't have the SA6s on your list. I believe they offer better SQ over both the Ety and the SF5, and have read here that they are also a better phone than the 420s. Can't speak for the UM2s.

They do belong on any list for $200 and under IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back