* Yet another "what to buy" question!
Jan 17, 2006 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

lukealexander

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for yet another of these delightful threads...though I do enjoy reading the existing threads.

I am currently using Sony EX71's (same story as everyone else right?) and though they are acceptable, I find the booming bass and distortion on the high end rather frustrating. Reading around here, I am torn between a pair of superior IEM's (Shure E2c etc) and a set of "proper" headphones (PX100 etc).

I generally listen to music on my laptop and 2G iPod Mini...Rock (especially U2) and House/Dance music are my main choices, but I also listen to a lot of classical/choral music (Faure's Requiem etc).

My obvious choices are: a) get a pair of IEMs and use them indoors and out b) get a pair of fullsize for indoors, and use the EX71's on the move.

My budget is £40-60, and with it being here in the UK my choices are rather more limited than you lucky americans.

What kind of differences will I be seeing between IEM's and full phones? I have read about "soundstage", is this the fundamental difference?

Thanks for your help, and sorry about the long post!
orphsmile.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 31
I'd pick b

I don't think the Shure e2c is a big improvement over the ex71. If anything, it has even more booming bass and less treble, and is totally unsuited to classical/choral music. For portable situations where critical listening isn't important, the ex71 is okay. And using IEMs indoors is impractical and uncomfortable.

So...I'd definitely go for the PX 100 for indoor and portable use, leaving the ex71 for those times when you just need isolation. You will see a big improvement - generally, in quiet listening environments, open full-size headphones are considerably better than IEMs at the same price. The PX100, in particular, is good for the kinds of music you listen to. However...if you can stretch a bit, I'd suggest upgrading to the Senn EH 350 (or HD 497). Sounds awesome with almost any music. Huge step up from the ex71. Good luck with your choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 31
i like the PX100s, they are good for home and abroad

Jan 17, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 31
I've just picked up a pair of Senn HD 485's which would be great for your musical tastes - smooth, intimate, bouncy & musical
basshead.gif
. No real soundstage though, so stay away if that is important. These are superior to the HD 497's which I used to own, until they died.

On your budget you might squeeze in a pair of of PX 100s as well (also highly recomended)

- HD 485 - around £40 at superfi.co.uk, also Amazon (marketplace).
- PX 100s - around £20 on ebay and some other e-tailers

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by realj42
These are superior to the HD 497's which I used to own, until they died.

Really? I've tried both, and they seem different (the 485 is bassier), but neither seemed much better or worse. Just a matter of taste, I suppose. But yeah, the 485 might in fact be a better choice for rock and dance music. It's a great 'club' headphone.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

but neither seemed much better or worse. Just a matter of taste, I suppose.

True the 497's are a bit sharper, and had a better soundstage, and it's been a while since I heard the 497's, but with the 485's I am already noticing musical details I dont recall hearing on the 497s. The 485's seem good at isolating each instrument and the separate vocal strand in the mix, but still bringing them all together as a performance.

Anyway both are good phones, and the 497's are cheaper.

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 31
Right, well I'm gonna look at these online now.

Looking at these PX100's (£30) at John Lewis, how much better is the sound than my EX71's. Would they give better sound than the E2c's. The reason I ask is that they seem so cheap yet you are recommending them when I have a larger budget to play with.

etysmile.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 31
Whilst I've been scootling around, I've noticed that the Bayerdynamics DT231's and Sennheiser HD465's are in my budget. What is your take on those phones?

The reviews of the 465's aren't favourable in comparison to the 497's but I don't much care for the silver look of the latter. Are the 497's better than 477...

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander
Looking at these PX100's (£30) at John Lewis, how much better is the sound than my EX71's. Would they give better sound than the E2c's.

Definite yes on both questions.

I've never heard many good things about the 477 - the 497 is better.

Basically the Senns that are popular and get good reviews under your budget are:

PX 100, HD 497, EH 350, HD 485 (better for rock and bassier music), HD 280, and HD 555.

You can't really miss with any of these, but the 280 should be purchased only if you need isolation. The HD 555 is the best of the lot - I don't know if it's affordable to you in UK, but go for it if you can. It's a great-sounding high-end headphone.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 31
Since I'd prefer to pick these up tomorrow from a store (limited choice her in Liverpool), I have found on cursory examination the following phones:
I know I can get cheaper online (I always buy electronics on the net) but I'd like to get a feel for what I'm buying since this is my first foray into the "decent" headphone world.

Sennheiser HD497£49.95Richer Sounds

Sennheiser HD477£39.95John Lewis

Sennheiser PX100£29.95John Lewis

Sennheiser HD465£49.95Richer Sounds

Bayerdynamics DT231£39.95Richer Sounds

The soundstage is vaguely important since my EX71's have none at all
basshead.gif

Also, comfort is quite important since I'd like to lie in bed and wear them for an extended time (I've heard the 497's are uncomfortable).

Any opinions on any of the above I *dont* want to be getting.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 31
I also see the Koss KSC75's are held in high esteem round here, how do they compare my above selection?
confused.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Sennheiser HD497£49.95Richer Sounds

Sennheiser HD477£39.95John Lewis

Sennheiser PX100£29.95John Lewis

Sennheiser HD465£49.95Richer Sounds

Bayerdynamics DT231£39.95Richer Sounds

Well, you should obviously try these out at your local store and see how they work for you, if you can. Given those choices, I would focus only on the 497 and PX 100. They're both pretty comfortable - the 497 might clamp tightly at first, if you have a large head, but that will go away after a bit of use (lot more comfy than Grados). The plastic adjusts and expands to your head size. I have a large head, but wore the 497 for hours at a time.

I also used the 497 in bed, but the PX 100, being smaller, may be preferable for that purpose. They're both good, but the 497 is more refined with better soundstage. The 555 is comfier and better-sounding than either of these, being circum-aural, but it's also larger. That might be a bit awkward in bed.

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 31
the 555's do look tempting, but are almost £40 ($70) more, ie double my budget.

Okay..so we are to the PX100 and the HD497! There is a $35 difference between these of course...

Which of these will give the best sound quality, irrespective of price? And which gives the best sound quality, when cost is taken into account?

Must thank you guys, especially jagorev, for being so patient and answering all my questions so helpfully.
580smile.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Which of these will give the best sound quality, irrespective of price?

497, no question.

Quote:

And which gives the best sound quality, when cost is taken into account?

Hmm. Px 100 is about $60, and HD 497 is $100 (converting roughly). That's about 40% more than US prices for the 497, while only 20% more than US for the PX 100. $100 is a little steep for the 497...but still worth it imho. When the 497 was priced around $50-$70, there was no question that it trumped the PX 100. However, given these prices, I'd have to say the PX 100 is a better value - almost-as-good performance for a much lower price. If I were in your position, I'd get the 497 if I could afford it, since I've heard both and prefer the 497 for detail and soundstage. But I have a severe case of head-fi addiction.

Good luck choosing, and sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back