Yet another "What DAC?" thread
Oct 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nalth

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have been browsing the forums for a suitable DIY DAC project. However, I find that there is just too much information spread out in here for me to truly understand what's currently "the best" DIY DAC in my price range.

I'm looking for an upgrade to my Silverstone EB01 USB DAC.
Preferably I would also like to abandon USB in favor of SPDIF or coaxial.
The price range might be around $300-$600

What are the best options? The DDDAC mk2 seems interesting, but is it still a good option, I mean the design is a few years old. Whats the deal with stacking chips in towers?? Does it improve sound quality? I'd love to see Rightmark tests for different DAC options, anybody have one for the DDDAC?

Also, is there value to be made by building a dac? I mean, the market is full of interesting Chinese dac's...

Please help me out here
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 3
You should have several options in the ballpark you listed: both options from Twisted Pear Audio (Buffalo and Opus) come to mind first for their ease of construction. The Buffalo is in pretty high demand and hard to come by these days but I think the Opus is in stock. And while I've never heard one I've always wanted to try the K&K RAKK DAC, but that's a little out your price range.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 3
That RAKK DAC sure looks interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, maybe some day...

How do the Buffalo and Opus compare? Also are there any Chinese equivalents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back