Yet Another USB Soundcard question (Hopefully thoughtful)
Feb 15, 2005 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

serqrevp

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I've been lurking here for a while gathering up the nerve to post a question that has been asked a hundred times or more, but I really have looked everywhere on this site for an answer.. I need a recommendation for a USB soundcard. I've read and searched all the post I could find on the forums and am left with more questions than answers, which I suspect is rather normal around here.

My source is a Toshiba laptop running iTunes. I currently have a Xitel Pro-HiFi Link USB soundcard running via Coax to a pair of active Edirol MA-15D desktop monitors, which is in turn connected to Yamaha YST-SW015 Subwoofer. (I know it's not the greatest system, but it's all I have... I'm a starving undergrad).

I'm looking for a replacement USB soundcard that has digital-out (I'm toslink/coax neutral – trying not to stir this one up again…) and is bit-perfect. I don't want/need a MIDI port, analogue-in-or-out, or a headphone jack. All I'd be using it for is to listen to music. It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure someone will
biggrin.gif
) that iTunes doesn't send out a bit-perfect stream as the sound is being routed through QuickTime to either waveOut or DirectSound (which in turn is going through kmixer), however, I may decide to start using foobar in the future. It seems from what I've read, that the M-Audio transit is bit-perfect, yet there was a thread that claimed the Waveterminal U24's sound was substantially better. I'm further confused as to whether I want/need 24-bit/96kHz (It seems the Transit is 24-bit/96kHz while the Waveterminal is only 24-bit/48kHz).

Are there other products I should consider (especially since all I care about is digital-out and possibly digital-in)? Hopefully someone can recommend a product that I can grow with.

Any help would be really appreciated as I feel a bit lost.
confused.gif

Thanks!!!

Fred

On a separate note, does anyone know what the difference is in the QuickTime preferences of setting the sound-out to waveOut or DirectSound, or for that matter what effect changing the sampling rate would have?

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 3
The reason Waveterminal sounds better is because it creates less "jitter" which is basically a word that means timing aberrations in the signal. I can't really comment on whether you want 96kHz or not because I don't use an external DAC. However, I think I should note that if you're going to spend that much money on a soundcard, you should use the soundcard's own analog outputs rather than a digital output to your speakers because I'm sure that your soundcard (if similar in quality to Waveterminal) will sound better than the DAC on any speakers. So anyway, I think your biggest mistake has been to use digital output without having any reason for doing so. I'm going to guess that this fact alone simplifies your situation greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back