yet another tubez luv pic (huge pic, warning!)
Apr 5, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #31 of 56
Wow, these are some great photos guys. Until just recently, I had no idea that tubes had the ability to light up, but hey, its just another great reason to pick up an EAR HD.
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 56
Wow, I really want to get a tube amp, just to look at it.

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody post tube pics that are in proper desktop wallpaper resolutions of at least 16x12? THANKS

I can post the one I posted in what ever res you want, widescreen or 4:3?

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody post tube pics that are in proper desktop wallpaper resolutions of at least 16x12? THANKS

Just take a look in the Wallpaper thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

[click for larger version]

Cheers
Kurt

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
raptor021.jpg

Great picture. The Raptor is just stunning to look at.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can post the one I posted in what ever res you want, widescreen or 4:3?

I personally would like 4:3 in the highest resolution you have, but I'm sure others might like WS, so whats the harm in posting both?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some good tube luvving so far. Here is a pair of WE300Bs doing their magic.
IMG_6272.jpg

Nice pic, Afrikane. You inspired me to photo my own! Notice the slight difference in the pattern. Yours are very nicely criss-crossing, while mine are more cascading.

453374837_c5c70951a0.jpg

453374785_e905e8c39d.jpg

Here is Western Electric's explanation of the blue glow:

"A blue glow may appear in the dome of the WE300B just below the upper mica and the top edge of the plate. The space between the plate and glass is small at this point (less than 1/8 in.) and appears to be the only area of the tube where this phenomenon takes place. The glow is caused by the electrons striking the plate, volatizing the surface, and dislodging atoms of nickel. High speed barium-strontium electrons from the filament collide with the atom, tearing off electrons, ionizing them and causing a deep blue color even in a well evacuated tube. The glow is a function of the plate voltage and the number of gas molecules in the envelope. In a good vacuum there are still billions of molecules. The electrons do not cause trouble because they all return to the positively charged plate. The size of the glow also varies with plate voltage and is not the same for each tube: it can vary from not discernable to very obvious even in daylight. It does not affect tube performance as can be shown by observing the characteristic curves during tube operation."

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #44 of 56
Tung Sol VT231 Round Plate
Tung_Sol_VT231_Round_Plate_6393.jpg

Tung_Sol_VT231_Round_Plate_6397.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pic, Afrikane. You inspired me to photo my own! Notice the slight difference in the pattern. Yours are very nicely criss-crossing, while mine are more cascading.

453374837_c5c70951a0.jpg

453374785_e905e8c39d.jpg

Here is Western Electric's explanation of the blue glow:

"A blue glow may appear in the dome of the WE300B just below the upper mica and the top edge of the plate. The space between the plate and glass is small at this point (less than 1/8 in.) and appears to be the only area of the tube where this phenomenon takes place. The glow is caused by the electrons striking the plate, volatizing the surface, and dislodging atoms of nickel. High speed barium-strontium electrons from the filament collide with the atom, tearing off electrons, ionizing them and causing a deep blue color even in a well evacuated tube. The glow is a function of the plate voltage and the number of gas molecules in the envelope. In a good vacuum there are still billions of molecules. The electrons do not cause trouble because they all return to the positively charged plate. The size of the glow also varies with plate voltage and is not the same for each tube: it can vary from not discernable to very obvious even in daylight. It does not affect tube performance as can be shown by observing the characteristic curves during tube operation."

Great pics! You should post or link the higher res versions, they would make beautiful wallpapers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back