Yet Another Thread On The Horrible OEM US Superfi / Triplefi Cable. Need Clarification
Feb 9, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CRS27

Head-Fier
I think I've searched and read every thread on this...

I currently have the Superfi 5 EB (I am a basshead but also an audio engineer) and am going to get the Triplefi's from Full Compass tomorrow. I wish to upgrade both cables but am really torn between getting the Westone's and UE Custom Cables.

A few say that the UE Custom cable is great and only one other highly recommends NOT doing it as the sound is worse. Can anyone else attest to this? Everyone else says positive things about the Westone's.

If I get either, will the clear cable's turn color like the OEM UE's turned green around the ear?

What I basically am looking for is cable comfort. I have a set of Shure SCL-4's and the cable is silky smooth and drapes nice nice. It's heavy but not too heavy and never gets caught. These OEM UE cables do act like an "accordion" and get caught everywhere in Manhattan that I go.
angry_face.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated as I wish to order these asap.

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Misleading title...

FYI, all new triple.fi comes in new packaging with newer straight jack cable. It's better quality than older version.

Oh they do? So nobody's doing the upgrades anymore?

I still want to replace the cable on my Superfi 5 EB's though...

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 16
OK First and foremost confirm that you understand that the SF & TF cables are not the same as the custom cables from Westone,Ultimate Ears, or Hearyourself.com. the custom cables cannot be put on the SF or TF without some minor modifications and vice versa. the SF & TF cables cannot be put on the custom IEM's without also moddifying them.
Now That being said if you are having to choose the best SQ of those three custom cables IMHO it is in this order

1 UE's Best overall SQ most color chioces ( Black, Brown,Baeige,Clear,White) 36.00 US shipped and two lengths availl

2)Westone ES series cable Noticeably less smooth than the UE's but also availl in 2 lengths and the same colors except white. 25.00 US

3) Running a close third behind the Westone's in SQ but only 2 color choices ( black and beige and one length. Also the most expensive. 50.00 us

IMHO I recommend and buy UE cables every time.

Also a while back I found an OFC custom cable on eBya for 50+.......
Loose Monitor connectors and no noticeable improvement over the UE's. Nice rt angle Neutriks through. They sit in a ziplock in a box as we speak

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK First and foremost confirm that you understand that the SF & TF cables are not the same as the custom cables from Westone,Ultimate Ears, or Hearyourself.com. the custom cables cannot be put on the SF or TF without some minor modifications and vice versa. the SF & TF cables cannot be put on the custom IEM's without also moddifying them.
Now That being said if you are having to choose the best SQ of those three custom cables IMHO it is in this order

1 UE's Best overall SQ most color chioces ( Black, Brown,Baeige,Clear,White) 36.00 US shipped and two lengths availl

2)Westone ES series cable Noticeably less smooth than the UE's but also availl in 2 lengths and the same colors except white. 25.00 US

3) Running a close third behind the Westone's in SQ but only 2 color choices ( black and beige and one length. Also the most expensive. 50.00 us

IMHO I recommend and buy UE cables every time.

Also a while back I found an OFC custom cable on eBya for 50+.......
Loose Monitor connectors and no noticeable improvement over the UE's. Nice rt angle Neutriks through. They sit in a ziplock in a box as we speak

Sorry for the late reply and thank you very much for the detailed response...

Yes, I know there needs to be a mod for all the cables.

I have been dealing with Tarah from UE, although extremely helpful, doesn't know much about the cables. She's sending me a clear replacement for my SF 5 EB's. She said "version 2.0" of the UE universal cables were released 2 years ago so I assume I have that one from when I bought my SF's in June 2008? If so, this is the cable that I cannot stand... Mostly because it gets caught in everything I go near and takes shape of however I store it (and will not straighten out).

Here's my new dilemma... I've been doing a ton of research. I ended up ordering the ES cable from Westone. The clear is out of stock and I just read that the Westone cable knocks the bass response down while bringing out the highs.. I don't want that. I'd like a well rounded IEM with good bass response and I'm thinking of the TF. I hated the bass response of my Ety's. The SF 5 EB's are great but I'd like more clarity (and a smaller size) and this is why I may get the Triplefi's.

Now, 1 (and only 1) other forum member HIGHLY recommended against using the UE custom cable saying that no matter what he did, it always sounded off.

If what you are saying about the UE custom is true (about construction) than it's similar my silky smooth tubular Shure SCL4 cable and that's what I'm looking for.

Should I cancel my order with westone and get the UE custom cable instead?

Also, are the connectors for the Superfi and Triplefi the same?

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by travisg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go with null audio

You said this before....

I read that they are great but stiff like the OEM UE's and take forever to get and also have minor problems... I'm down for some good cables so convince me otherwise trav.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said this before....

I read that they are great but stiff like the OEM UE's and take forever to get and also have minor problems... I'm down for some good cables so convince me otherwise trav.

I think you are referring to the older version cables, which were with clear sleeving. Yes they are even stiffer than the stock cable, the usage of larger gauge wires sacrificed flexibility.
But for the newer version in other colors, it is much softer than stock cable I have to say.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wkwlb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are referring to the older version cables, which were with clear sleeving. Yes they are even stiffer than the stock cable, the usage of larger gauge wires sacrificed flexibility.
But for the newer version in other colors, it is much softer than stock cable I have to say.

Are they softer in the fact that they actually drape down and won't snag on everything? I'd like a clear one... I have no clue so I have to take your word for it..

How does it change the sound compared to the OEM UE cables and are the prongs the same for both the superfi and triplefi?.

Is that a Null Audio cable in your pic?

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Are they softer in the fact that they actually drape down and won't snag on everything? I'd like a clear one... I have no clue so I have to take your word for it..

How does it change the sound compared to the OEM UE cables and are the prongs the same for both the superfi and triplefi?.

Is that a Null Audio cable in your pic?

Yes it is the black one in my avatar
smile.gif

It is a braided cable, I think that's why it will not snag together like the UE stock cable. Affect on sound you can refer to here, written by other users. The prongs are the same among UE universal IEMs(cable-replaceable)

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Do you work for them or something?

I checked and there's like a 5,000 year lead time for them. I'll have to say later for that...

What I did is just to answer the questions you raised
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Oh they do? So nobody's doing the upgrades anymore?

I still want to replace the cable on my Superfi 5 EB's though...

Are they still within a warranty? Contact UE, tell them your cable has snapped. They'll send you a replacement - the only cable they are shipping now is a black straight-jack triple.fi cable. I got it as a replacement for my sf5pro cable 8 weeks ago.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 16
I hear ya on that... Gotta do what you gotta do.

Well I've read some reviews including the ones you've pointed out to me and I think I'm going to pass because many are reporting a stiff cable and a weaker low end. Aside what you linked up for reviews, there really isn't much more

On the site, I see Black, Black/White and Red. Are they all the same stiffness and is the lead time really that long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back