Yet another thread for IEM recommendations Aprox $75 budget
Jan 27, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sean Logue

New Head-Fier
Yes I realize there are many different threads like this, but I have somewhat different 'requirements'.

First off, source: Zune hd 32
No amp, (this also means I don't want headphones that require an amp, I'm not looking to buy one)

I live in the US.

My music tastes: Linkin park, Disturbed, Rise Against, Skillet, Lost Prophets. However, also things like Five for Fighting, Genesis, etc.

I'm looking mostly for something with a lot of bass, and crisp sounds, I'm still new to the whole audiophile world, so I don't really know how to describe it any better than that.

Next, I have had serious issues with Nuforce, I don't want to deal with them again. Bought the NE-7M's. Had an issue with cord durability, sent it back, had to repeatedly send emails for over 7 months in order to get a refund.
Anyway, I previously posted a thread with a smaller budget and was looking at things like NuForce and V-MODA. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on V-MODA?

Also, I've heard mixed opinions on ER6i's.
(Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (White): Electronics)
Thoughts?

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 15
Klipsch Image S2, $49. Read some reviews of it here on HF. I never owned it, but I may end up getting a pair for kicks. I had the S4, $79, which is also a very good phone for rock, excellent bass, but needs burn-in of 100 hours or more to hit its peak.

I can't speak about V-Moda since it's been a long time since I owned the original Vibes, which I didn't like much.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iM-590

x2. These make me very happy.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 15
The iM-590 has deeper bass than the NE-7M that you're used to, but also a flatter response and quicker decay so they might seem a little colder and less hard-hitting.

That said they are very hard to beat as a combination of good bass and crispness, so I guess that's a +3.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 15
These are giant killers, Hippo VB's they replaced my 170$ Atrio M5's they literally sound better than IEM's 2 to 3 times their price. They come with little discs that screw on the end of the IEM that give them different degrees of bass and clarity. The large bass discs is more bass then anyone could handle, I'm a basshead and I use the medium bass setting. Even on the lightest bass setting they had more bass than my Atrio's and those were considered the king of bass for IEM's but don't let the bass sway you these have really great mids and highs to.

And I have used them on my Wife's ZuneHD and they sound great with no amp

Uncle Wilson - Hippo VB: Tunable Earphone

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 15
ATH-CKS70(deep big bass), UE 5EB(extra heavy bass), UE Metro-Fi 220, Sony XB40..........

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0

The OP wants something with lots of bass.

A couple of well regarded options...
Hippo VB
Fischer Eterna

May also want to try the new JVC FXC80. New and untested but the "Black" series all seem to have a fair amount of bass.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Logue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K330's
Klipsch S2's
klipsch S4's
Hippo VB's

Overall thoughts or comparisons?

Any particular reason you ignored 3 people suggesting Maximo iM 590s?

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP wants something with lots of bass.

A couple of well regarded options...
Hippo VB
Fischer Eterna

May also want to try the new JVC FXC80. New and untested but the "Black" series all seem to have a fair amount of bass.

O.O

A new JVC earphone? I may have to buy one then....

Feb 13, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason you ignored 3 people suggesting Maximo iM 590s?

To be honest I didn't consciously mean to. I guess the only reason I can think of is because I'm willing to go higher price wise, and two of the headphones I listed were $79.00 which is very close to what I was looking to pay. I understand that there are headphones for $50 that beat $75 headphones, but i haven't seen anything showing why they're better than the ones I listed. I have heard good things about the Hippo's and S4's. I will take them into consideration if I find something saying they're better for this reason and that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back