Yet another TF10 Replacement Cable thread...
Aug 25, 2011 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Introvariable

New Head-Fier
So while I'm very pleased with the sound of the headphones, I'm more irked with the stiffness of the "memory cable" that comes stock with it. I'm definitely looking for something with an L-connector because my iPod usually ends up in my pocket or on an armband but also something that's rather flexible rather than ridiculously stiff and that could easily be woven through my shirt like I usually do when I'm working out or even just to keep my cable discreet if I'm listening to music walking back and forth to class.

I see that UE offers a "custom" cable for their custom fits, but I'm curious if the straight connector one would fit the Triple Fis though it doesn't seem they were intended to.

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/custom-accessories

I'd go for the 48" straight connector one. If these will fit, they seem relatively reasonably priced and I assume the twisted cable would be more pliable than this memory cable... no? If not, can anyone offer me a higher quality, relatively well priced replacement cable that will fit my TF10s so I don't have to deal with the damned memory cable anymore? L-connector is pretty much a must as well... Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 7
It says in their website that the cable for customs dont fit the universals.

Quote:
46” Replacement Cable (Black) for TripleFi 10, SuperFi 5 Pro, SuperFi 5 EB and SuperFi 3 Studio – NOT COMPATIBLE with Custom Stage Earphones.

I got mines with a clear cable, made by UE, is better built than the stock. and looks better, but i cant see it in their website.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/64/64037f7b_21c9a357_106_0751.jpeg is flexible, but has a lot of memory character.

alternatively, check out ebay, you can find really sweet custom made cables there, I was considering one as spare but never got to buy it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 7
To the best of my knowledge, the custom UE cable will not fit the TripleFis.  And it's too bad because the one on my UE RMs is the best cable ever.  My second favorite cable (and we're talking purely based on ergonomics) is the Westone ES (aka 'Epic') cable.  I recently put this on my TripleFis.  I was a bit hesitant at first because I heard the pins are *slightly* larger and spaced differently.  And because of this, even after modding them, you can't go back to using the old cable- and you even run the risk of damaging the IEM socket.  Well, after trying some custom wire which was even more stiff than the UE cable even though it didn't look like it from the photos, I went with the ES cable.  And I recommend it wholeheartedly.  All you really need to do is carefully cut the pins down by about 40-50% in length and you're good to go.  I smoothed the tips out a bit with some fine sandpaper before inserting them.  The cable is about as limp as a wet noodle.  After being coiled around my three fingers and stored, it will straighten right out from the weight of the plug.  One criticism I've heard about this combo is that it leaves a slight gap where the connector meets the IEM.  You can sort of see it in the picture below.  However, that gap does not expose the metal of the pins.  It's just that the ES connector does not have the recess that the TripleFi cable has.  I'm OCD about stuff like this and it does not bother me.

You can get the Westone cable from their website:  http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/catalog/elite-series-monitor-replacement-cables

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 7
I'd be far too scared to file down those pins and risk wasting the investment on the cables to go with those Westones otherwise I would... are there any other similar cables to it for a reasonable price? A specific reputable eBay seller or a cable you can find on eBay by name I should check out?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I'd be far too scared to file down those pins and risk wasting the investment on the cables to go with those Westones otherwise I would... are there any other similar cables to it for a reasonable price? A specific reputable eBay seller or a cable you can find on eBay by name I should check out?

I understand the concern; but really... it's super easy.  Just get a sharp pair of cutters (or even better- some nippers) and trim!  If you're afraid you might over do it, just do it a little at a time like you're clipping your finger nails.  The sand paper thing is probably not essential, but it's also easy.  This whole thing should take you no more than 2 minutes per side.

But I understand your concern.  The hard part about buying cables is you have to see them in real life to see how flexible they really are.  The handmade one I tried before the ES cable has the braided mesh jacket and thin twisted pair of leads that go to the IEMs, and from the photos you would think it was pretty flexible.  But it is far from it.  It's still well made- just not flexible at all.  I knew the Westone would be perfect because it's the same wire that comes on my Westone 4s, which I love.  So yeah- you can take your chances getting something else, but be careful!

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I understand the concern; but really... it's super easy.  Just get a sharp pair of cutters (or even better- some nippers) and trim!  If you're afraid you might over do it, just do it a little at a time like you're clipping your finger nails.  The sand paper thing is probably not essential, but it's also easy.  This whole thing should take you no more than 2 minutes per side.

But I understand your concern.  The hard part about buying cables is you have to see them in real life to see how flexible they really are.  The handmade one I tried before the ES cable has the braided mesh jacket and thin twisted pair of leads that go to the IEMs, and from the photos you would think it was pretty flexible.  But it is far from it.  It's still well made- just not flexible at all.  I knew the Westone would be perfect because it's the same wire that comes on my Westone 4s, which I love.  So yeah- you can take your chances getting something else, but be careful!

Is there another popular cited cable that won't require some handiwork with tools I probably won't have when I'm at school? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back