Yet Another Tape Head Question...
May 8, 2003 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
Okay I guess I'm the resident old school... I've been trying to dig up old threads on Google to look up my old '82 Yamaha 2 head tape deck again out of curiousity after I've noticed that the tape head is named GF-20... so I've kinda find out that GF stands for Glass Ferrite... but there are mixed opinions as to their reliability...

I was wondering if any tape historians here that can tell me about them... like how do they compare against the more popular Sendust and Permalloy heads... I assume there are only these three types being used on the market...

I ask this is because I think it's about time I get a better tape deck, one with a 3 head 3 motor or something... and I was thinking that maybe the head is the only thing that has to do with the different grades of tape decks technically, mainly frequency response I guess... I know the overall design will influence the wow and flutter and S/N ratio specs blah blah blah... but I guess most decks are good at that...

Anyone can also recommend me a brand other than $$$ Nakamichi... I'm gonna buy used so what are some of the stuff I should look for?

haha okay I should stop here before I start to build a ton of questions... Thanks!

May 8, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 6
This is probably not the best forum for questions pertaining to cassette tape recorders, and recording heads, if only because most of the analog discussion is focused on LP playback.

I'm not even sure if any manufacturer is still offering what could be considered a high quality cassette machine. As for Nakamichi, I believe they have been out of the business of making cassette decks for some time. I'm not even sure if they are still in business.

If your Yamaha deck is still working, look into having the belts replaced. Then keep it as long as possible. Unless you pick up a good used machine such as a vintage Nakamichi, I don't think you will find any current decks offering similar quality.

The following link is a good overview of tape head design, including materials used:

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/tapeheadintro.html

I have an interest in analog tape recording because I collect factory duplicated reel to reel tapes and have an Ampex reel to reel tape recorder that I keep for listening to my reel collection.

I've tried, so far unsuccessfully, to copy some of my reel tapes to high quality cassette using a Denon cassette deck with three heads, onto metal tape, using Dolby HX Pro for recording headroom extension, and Dolby B and C noise reduction. The results have just been so so.

It turns out there is so much signal, especially low frequency energy, on many of these reels that the dynamics of the reel tape overwhelm the recording range of even metal tape with Dolby C. I'm hoping that I can find a suitable digital format that I can use to copy my reel collection to digital in a format that is indistinguishable from the original, before I can no longer get belts and other parts for my Ampex machine. MP3 and Redbook CD audio are not going to do it for me. Perhaps DVD-A is an option, since somewhere in my future is a PC with a DVD-R drive.
I figure I have about 10 years or so before I have to give up my reels.

Good luck.

May 8, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 6
maybe you need to fiddle around with the bias settings and record levels on the Denon deck... cuz I heard their decks are one of the best on the market... I almost bought one off eBay but I was afraid the heads might be all worned... at least at the pawn store you can take a close look at it before you buy...

Maybe try another brand of tape? Anyhow... yeah it's hard to find a vintage deck nowadays that has 3 heads and yet in great condition... argh!!!

May 8, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 6
The Denon is a model DRM-710 that was an above average cassette tape deck with 3 discrete heads and the latest bells and whistles when purchased in 1991, and cost $400. I recently had it serviced and new belts were installed before tackling the reel to reels.

The problem lies with trying to capture the full dynamic range of a 1/4 inch reel tape recorded at 7-1/2 IPS on a 1/8 inch cassette tape moving at 1-7/8 IPS. Even with Dolby C, I can't quite capture the full range of the reel tapes. If I lower the record level so the peak sounds are recorded at a manageable level, the softer passages have audible tape hiss, even with the Dolby circuits engaged.

On the other hand, if I push the metal tape hard, and I mean really hard in an attempt to capture the absolute maximum dynamic range taking advantage of every last DB of headroom on the tape I wind up recording peaks up at around + 8 or 10 DB above IEC 0 level and the playback of the music begins to sound strained and compressed. This is due to the music peaks being concentrated in the bass region where the metal tape has less headroom.

It is possible that I can find another brand of metal (type IV) cassette tape that will have better bass headroom, but it would have to be alot more than 1 or 2 DB more to make any difference. Cassette tape evolved to the point where is could make faithful copies of most LPs. The cassette format never did become able to take on the wider dynamic range of reel to reel.

So for now I can make some decent, but not perfect cassette copies of my reel tapes that I can play in my car. But it is almost a sure bet that my next car will not come with both a CD player and a cassette player. In a few years, the car cassette will be gone as a factory option as most people switch to CD or MP3 or even satellite radio.

May 8, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 6
I've read so much old newsgroup threads on google and I came across a few posts that finds HX-Pro evil, and they hate Dolby blah blah blah... I've learned to live with hiss tho... so reel to reel has no background hiss? wow... my grannys used to have a Sony reel to reel machine, and I was ordered as a little kid not to even get close to it... lol now I know why...

May 8, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I'm not even sure if any manufacturer is still offering what could be considered a high quality cassette machine. As for Nakamichi, I believe they have been out of the business of making cassette decks for some time. I'm not even sure if they are still in business.

here:

http://www.tascam.com/products/casse...kiii/index.php

BEST cassette recorder in current production. period. ain't cheap though. i have the original 122... not the mk iii. works pretty well. was well maintained, and has new belts and stuff. but the mk iii is the absolute best. never saw anything better.

BUT.... you can get much better reel to reel analog recorders. but expect to pay a fortune in maintanance for the good ones. almost as big of a hassle as turntables (gotta be periodically cleaned very often...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back