Yet another "starting vinyl" thread.
Jan 6, 2008 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so I want to get into vinyl for various reasons, but right now, I don't have enough records or money to justify buying my own table. So I'm kinda stuck with what I have in the house, which is a couple of turntables from old hifi systems, or one of those USB ones sold on gadget websites.

The USB one looks like my best option at the minute, as it has a built in phono stage, so I can just plug straight into my amp, which doesn't have one. Obviously, it's not going to sound great, but I can sort that later.
The main thing that I'm worrying about is the records. Will a cheap turntable/needle damage the records in any way? I'm worried that I'll be using this cheap one, and when I finally get a decent one, my records will have been affected by the old player. Could this happen, or is it more to do with how it's set up?

I won't be able to afford a new player for a while, but I might as well start looking into it while I'm at it. Should I just read up on the other threads, find out the decent brands, then look around local shops/ebay? Or are there any new turntables out there that sound decent and are relatively cheap (under 150 pounds hopefully, I know it's not much). I'm guessing I need variable speeds because I have a couple of 7" singles.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so I want to get into vinyl for various reasons, but right now, I don't have enough records or money to justify buying my own table. So I'm kinda stuck with what I have in the house, which is a couple of turntables from old hifi systems, or one of those USB ones sold on gadget websites.

The USB one looks like my best option at the minute, as it has a built in phono stage, so I can just plug straight into my amp, which doesn't have one. Obviously, it's not going to sound great, but I can sort that later.
The main thing that I'm worrying about is the records. Will a cheap turntable/needle damage the records in any way? I'm worried that I'll be using this cheap one, and when I finally get a decent one, my records will have been affected by the old player. Could this happen, or is it more to do with how it's set up?

I won't be able to afford a new player for a while, but I might as well start looking into it while I'm at it. Should I just read up on the other threads, find out the decent brands, then look around local shops/ebay? Or are there any new turntables out there that sound decent and are relatively cheap (under 150 pounds hopefully, I know it's not much). I'm guessing I need variable speeds because I have a couple of 7" singles.

Don't buy a cheap new turntable.

Read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Check out the thread "Low budget vinyl source" BY Memopool.YES, a sorry needle will dig out the grooves and they will end up sounding like an old AM radio filterd through dried up dog ****.Choose a good cartridge with a good sound quality without having to spend up all of your english pounds.The shure m97xe is great for the money,and I have been told a Grado Gold is better than others for less money.Look for the LAST RECORD CARE CLEANER AND PRESERVATIVE.The Needle Doctor ,located in the US, carries thier products,it works.The TT choice is up to you ,but don't buy these new cheap ones,I mean stuff like the sonys ,low priced technics,and other bargain priced new stuff.The new technics 1200s are still good tables,but I could go on and on about TTS.Good luck

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Right, so I shouldn't be using that crappy USB table for the time being?

I have a 1000 plus LPs and I have more money invested in them than my turntables.Memepool's advise is always excellent in recommending used turntables.The best new budget turntable remains the Technics 1200/1210 MK2.A very high selling relic from the past.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

I notice you are in the UK. Check out Needles & Spins for HiFi Turntables, Record Players, Phono Cartridges and Vinyl Accessories

Granted you can get a better second had TT for the money than a new, but id just like to point out Pro-ject do one for £125 (inc cart) and you can get a phono stage for £30.

The RPM1 Genie has an adjustable pulley for 33/45 playback.

The Debut Mk3 is £150 ... very nice looking TT.

Better yet, look at these bundles:
Complete Turntable Bundles

Obviously look around and see if you can get a second hand bargain, but pro-ject are very respectable, and you can upgrade when you get the money.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 10
My main advice is to get a record washing/vacuuming machine. They start with the KAB USA EV-1 for $150 but you won't be listening to truly clean records without a vacuum machine. Every other method leaves something in the grooves, even if it's just water it will still have contaminants floating in it which stay in the groove when the water evaporates. You need to suck it out while it's still wet.

You only need to wash a disc once, when you first get it. After that, just a dry carbon brush and anti-static pistol is all you need.

Some good threads on the Steve Hoffman forums.

Good luck!

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

The only thing I can say OZSTRIKE ,as far as TTs go a cheap one won't hurt your lps.That is up to the needle,and the wear of it.The quality TTs will play accuratley and give you a overall better sound because you will have a better tone arm ,less rumble ,and make shure you have a good cartridge and needle (stylus).I feel whatever the TT choice ,you should have a pitch control,as far as the older TTs are concernd, for your speed accuracy.Plus, buy a stylus force gauge,shure has one for about $28.00 american dollars.I live in the US, so you do the math.My family originaly came from England,but that was in the late 1500s.I don't know about the usb TTs so I can't comment on the quality.I know the old sonys ,technics ,marantz,denon, BICs,duals pioneers are still in demand.The new stuff I can't say because my marantz is 20 or more years,my sansui sr525 is 30 years .My BIC is 28 years old at least,I hear about regas, Linnn,Vpi and other new stuff and I hear the same thing ,some like them, some don't. I like direct drive better than belt drive and people still argue about that.If you buy a used TT pick up the tone arm and move it back and forth across the table ,as long as you dont feel any unsmoothness or restance you're ok.TO make shure the platter and motor bearings are ok spin it with your finger while it is off listen closely ,and you should'nt hear any noise.With belt drives you have to dissconnect the belt first,and it should spin silky smooth.If it does'nt the shaft will need oiling . The choice is up to you,and the more you get into it ,the more you will learn.You may also need a stylus and cartridge alingment gauge(protractor).Just take what I have said into consideration,because you will hear plenty more of opinions. LL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back