Yet another Sennheiser HD 555 vs. Audio Tehcnica AD 700 thread
Nov 23, 2008 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Remains

Head-Fier
I have been using standard apple ipod headphones for everything ever since I got my first ipod back in 2004. Then earlier this year I got to try out my friends Sennheiser HD 202's and even those had an astounding difference compared to my ipod headphones. So now with Christmas on its way I would like to get myself a nice set of cans.

I found the 555's earlier this year on headroom.com and I was pretty much convinced that I had to get them but after doing plenty of googling I stumbled across the AD 700's. I would like to use my new headphones for music (on the computer and Ipod), gaming, and movies. I listen to pretty much all kinds of music from metal to jazz so a big soundstage would be nice. After reading other reviews I found out that the 555's have better bass then the AD 700's but I also read that can fixed with a little EQ.

So basically I want headphones that are;
- Very comfortable
- Suits all kinds of music, and is good for gaming and movies
- Doesn't require the purchase of a headphone amp for sufficient use on an ipod

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 8
you may find that, these being used for ipod (and hence, I assume, much portable use), that either of these large open headphones may not be suitable

between those two, and based on your criteria:
1) Both are very comfortable, but the HD555's may hold better for portable use
2) I personally find the AD700's soundstage to be more suitable for gaming - either can will be sufficient for movie watching, though the HD555's slightly more "full?" bass may be better if youre into bass-heavy effects
3) Neither set really requires a headphone amp, though the AD700's will be slightly easier to drive

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 8
The AD700 has a larger soundstage and is better for rock music than the HD555. It is also more detailed and energetic sounding. The HD555 is smoother and more laid back, and has more bass (although the bass quality is better on the AD700). The AD700 is the superior headphone in my opinion.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 8
I have used the HD555 but not the AD700. FWIR, most who have compared the two prefer the AD700. Neither of these two are known for good bass. I enjoyed my HD555 with movies and mostly rock music when I had it. However, I now enjoy my modded JBL 410 (JBL410) Reference more than I did my HD555 with movies and music, in part because of the better bass.

If wanting a big soundstage and not expecting deep or prominent bass (like what you would expect from a movie going experience), you probably will enjoy the AD700.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I have used the HD555 but not the AD700

Same here. I thought the 555 had a good soundstage, but not much else. Wasn't very detailed, and bass didn't go very deep but it was a good can regardless, especially if you prefer a 'darker' presentation.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 8
I've been doing quite a bit of research on this myself, and the general consensus is that AD700 is better because of its overall better sound quality and sound stage, even though it lacks the bass the HD555s have, albeit not much.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 8
As someone who recently ordered and received a pair of AD700s, I'll say this, make sure you buy from a place with a good return policy. As I'm sure you have read, if you've done any research, the AD700s have a very unique loose fit. I initially wasn't worried because I have a big head but they were still really loose. The big problem, however, was where they rested on my face, right on my jaw bone. Despite their weight they were horribly uncomfortable for me.

Also, in terms of sound quality, if your sources (movie files, music files, or games) or hardware (sound card, etc...) isn't very good then you won't be able to fully take advantage of the AD700s. For example, I watched some videos and listened to music with both my AD700s and PX100s. Despite the difference in price and quality I couldn't really hear much of an improvement when going to the AD700s from the PX100s. Not to say they are bad headphones, but with my modest hardware and average sources, I wasn't getting my money's worth. So for now, I'll be sticking with my PX100s and saving my wallet at the same time.
biggrin.gif

Also, the loose fit and long cord don't exactly make these ideal for portable use.

Good luck!

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 8
The HD555 is an entry level phone to the Senn sound, and the Senn sound is not for every genre. In particular, the HD555 does a not so good job for rock/metal. In terms of flexibility the AD700 does more genres well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back