Yet another plea for ultrasone decision help
Feb 4, 2009 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geremy

100+ Head-Fier
I have done the reading, I'm still a wee bit confused and would like some confirmation of my current thoughts.

I currently have a Grado 325i and an ATH-A700 (closed version). I like both, and while I do use the grado as my portable phones, they aren't really good portable. They are heavy.

I'm looking for something to complement my mini-collection. The Grados have the midrange and the highs for rock, metal and acoustic, the A700s are great for classical and some electronic. I would like a full bottom end that has a very quick response (the 325is sound full, the A700s are very quick, but neither is very bassy), a somewhat forward full yet detailed mid-range (not grado, but not veiled) and clear detailed highs. I guess I'll be listening to a bit of everything but mostly metal/classic rock and house electronic.

I am set to try ultrasone (though I have never heard them with my own ears, only read about them) but I'm confused about the model to get. I have narrowed the choice down to HFI-2200 ULEs, HFI-780s and DJ1 pros. Of course I would go with the pro 900s if money was no option, but I'd like to keep the purchase price below $200. Today, I'm leaning towards the DJ1 pros. Yesterday it was the 2200.

I feel the 780s are a sweet spot, but I want them to be portable (and short cord with miniplug). I don't feel like replacing the 780 cable. If someone convinces me that they are far and away above the 2200 and the DJ1 pro, I'll get them but I WILL NOT re-cable them (though I could see cutting the stock cable down in length).

I'm just not sure about the 2200s. The reviews are generally positive, they are supposed to have a somewhat warm sound with nice bass and smooth highs. This would probably complement my 325is well. I love the looks (I'm strange), and they seem very comfortable. I have read that they lack a bit of detail and clarity, which might be ok. It just seems that they are the odd man out. The only HFI model with the old design and non-plus s-logic. Maybe they will be replaced soon? They are also the most expensive of the 3. They are open which I prefer sound-wise but I do plan to use them in crowded areas so maybe closed would be better (and better bass response closed as well).

The DJ1 Pros are the least expensive, probably the least common and are supposed to have great quick low end and clear transparent highs. I don't know about the midrange but I doubt there is a veil just from the fact that they are ultrasone. They have larger drivers but not ti or gold and I am not sure how this will effect clarity. My other concern is I don't like pleather pads, will the velour ones from the Pro 2500 or 900 fit? Since I have never heard ultrasone before, these seem like the least risk, yet still a nice complement to the 325i and A700. Am I going to miss much of the ultrasone sound without gold or ti drivers?

Wow. That was much longer than I would have liked. Thanks for reading.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Maybe everyone's opinion is that they DJ1 pros are just fart cannons?

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 6
I would suggest going with the HFI-780's, they fit in well with your description of what you are looking for. Personally I just keep most of the cord tied up near the plug.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Get the ES7 instead, it sounds more like what you are looking for. You're looking for something very well balanced, and I wouldn't call any of the Ultrasones outside of the Edition 9 well balanced, they are not going to give you the mids you want.

Or if it's within your price range, the ESW10.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 6
I already own some audio technicas, and while I like them I'm not looking to buy a second pair.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 6
You'd have to buy a shorter cable for the HFI-2200 too. Go with the HFI-780 since they employ newer technology and also have updated looks. The good thing about the HFI-2200 is that it's so bizarre no one wants them and you can get good discounts (that's how I got mine ^^). I'd like to know what people think about how these two headphones compare, but man, HFI-2200's are so unpopular. If you want to look crazy (and be noisy) in public, definitely get the HFI-2200's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back