Yet Another Pimeta Opamp Thread
Apr 5, 2005 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
This was inevitable. I am on the hunt for some new opamps for my Pimeta. I have read many similar posts as well as Tangent's guide, but I am looknig for something a bit different than most. I have a pretty relaxed source, a pretty relaxed set of cans (401's) and I find the Pimeta to be a bit dull with this setup (actually, even with my Grados I find the setup dull).

I was using the AD8610/8620 opamps, but I feel like I need something with some b*lls, and some sparkle. The Pimeta is just not sounding like a rock and roll amp to me, so somehting with a bit of crunch would be better. Now, I don't want harsh, I just don't want that mellow "high end" sound. I was looking at the 843, or perhaps the 823 or 845. Anyone have a favorite here? Something to make guitar based rock come alive ...

-d

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 5
Not sure if mere opamp rolling is going to get you what you want... Perhaps the BUF634 is part of the equation too?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 5
After a lot of reading and confused reasoning, I ended up with a AD823 as the dual, and an OPA227 as the single. I am really unsure what it was that convinced me to buy this combination, but that is what I did.

Anyhow, upon putting the new opamps in, they sounded horrible. Truly, in every way, just terrible (though it is worth noting that I also replaced the caps and resistors and the regulator in th PS at the same time, so this probably contributed). 8 hours of use later, however, it's not too bad. My memory is suspect, but this combination seems a bit more lively than the 8620/10 combination. It is also a little edgier and less detailed, but overall I think its okay. It could use some more bass, but I don't recall the pimeta ever having much bass anyway.

-d

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I've got the AD823/AD843 combo, and I've been happy with them. I liked them better then the AD8610/AD8620 combo at least in the pimeta (they sound great in the mint though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back