Yet Another NOS USB DAC
Mar 13, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Rick, I opted to stay with the passive I/V + opamp for this version, though I may look into the other options for a next revision.

that is cool man,just tossing out options for consideration.My DAC uses passive IV also but leaves even the opamp out and instead uses a transformer so while the above bettered the opamp in my listening I chose the transformer for myself.

I were to make a commercial DAC I would flip back to active and likely the Maxim part though maybe an OPA627 or AD797.
Some things are fine for personal use when all other system aspects can be controlled but not so very for more widespread more universal use where the maximum amount of systems it can be used in would be paramount.

Mar 13, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 22
sorry folks,had a few windows open and posted this response to the wrong thread......since edited out obviously but so disregard the "whacko" email notification with the post.......................

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
For paralleling, I've heard good and bad. It is said to increase dynamics, but perhaps at the expense of musicality (whatever that means.) I've tried paralleling the TDA1543 and it does give it more impact and make it a bit more correct sounding, but it is not nearly as pleasant. (The TDA1543 is a funny chip. It can sound really bad, but if you get it just right it is truly transcendant. The 1541 is suppsed to be considerably better.)

I'm surprised the 1541 is still in use, that's the DAC my vintage Rotel RCD-855 uses (TDA1541A/N2 according to the tech manual)... isn't this a late 80s DAC?

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #19 of 22
The TDA1541, 1543 and 1545, along with the AD1865 are still in use by DIYers because they're very easy to work with, and you can build "non-oversampling" DACs with them.

I haven't heard a TDA1541 based DAC yet, but have built two Monica 2 DACs (asynchronously reclocked TDA1543-based DACs), and there's definitely something to it. Or, at least, that DAC sounds better than 4 of my 6 other DACs
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm surprised the 1541 is still in use, that's the DAC my vintage Rotel RCD-855 uses (TDA1541A/N2 according to the tech manual)... isn't this a late 80s DAC?

They made them up through the 90's, i think, but many still claim it is the best chip Philips evr made. There are also various versions. The standard ones (what is in the Rotel) go for about $10-20 while the top end versions (the S1 and S2) often sell for well over $100. Search over at DIYaudio.com

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
The monica uses the TDA1545

Sorry, you're right.. I typed that out in a hurry and didn't pay attention with al the 154x's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back