Yet another noob looking for cans.
Mar 15, 2007 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lackofcheese

New Head-Fier
I thought I'd kill the obvious overabundance of information here, because it didn't really achieve anything except for making people lose interest in the thread. So I went through the rest of this thread and went on a crusade against that chatter I was generating too much of; Now I have a fairly refined comment to stick onto the end of this thread.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 17
The ATH-A700 seems to be the best choice for you assuming your price limits.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 17
I have HD650 they own HD280 closed phones in every area, also sound stage advantage is huge in FPS, I am way better at fps with my hd650s on compared to 280 which are also great just HD650 so much better. My room is pretty noisy, 2 pcs running and ac and I don't think your place is louder in noise than mine and I have 0 problems using my open phones, I even made comparisons and still HD650 kill my closed in everything at same volume lvl. All closed will be inferior to open cans of similar class simply because of physics(especially in sound stage). So take it with a grain of salt of course.

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 17
Well, I would think that the HD650 significantly outclass the HD280 so it's not really such a fair comparison.

The Audio Technicas I mentioned above would make for a far better (and far more relevant to me) comparison in closed vs open.

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All closed will be inferior to open cans of similar class simply because of physics(especially in sound stage).

confused.gif
CD3000, L3000, DX1000, Qualia, R10, et cetera?

Personally I'd go for the A700.

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 17
In conjunction with a shameless bump, I'd still like to know if anyone knows a good place where I could try these headphones out for myself.

If there isn't one then I'll really need to get a good amount of help from you guys with choosing.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
CD3000, L3000, DX1000, Qualia, R10, et cetera?

I know this was just intended to make a point, but the Qualia is open, no?

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Alright, now that I've killed all the paragraphs that I assume were scaring you guys away, I can give you a much easier restatement of my problem.

My first priority will be a good soundstage for gaming, but I also want the headphones for music, primarily rock.

I would prefer to have the isolation of closed headphones but I don't care that much about others hearing my sound, and the ambient noise in my room, even with the aircon, is not so significant that I would sacrifice significant improvements in other areas just for the sake of having closed cans.

As for budget let's say I'm willing to spend up to $250 AUD as long as it's worth it. Unfortunately that amount doesn't go very far over here; the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, for example, would set me back $225 AUD.

If it really is true that to get a good soundstage in closed headphones I will need to pay significantly more, then I would rather look at open models instead. I had previously thought that the Sennheiser HD215 would still have reasonably good soundstage, as would the Audio Technica A series.

With that in mind, it seems that my best choices would probably be the Beyerdynamic DTX series or Audio Technica AD series.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is a highly recommended model, so it seems to me that it would really be worth the expense over other, cheaper alternatives. Or am I missing something here?

Snufkin over on Headphonic Australia tells me that to get a good soundstage in a closed headphone I would really have to pay for something like the Ultrasone HFI-500DJ1. This is my thread over there:-
http://headphones.com.au/forums/view...hp?p=3556#3556

Now, my questions then are
1) In open headphones my options seem to be the Beyer DTX and Audio Technica AD series. How do the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 compare to my cheaper alternatives here?

2) How do the Ultrasones compare to the options I have by way of open headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back