Yet another newbie here-- looking for laid back open-baffle over-ear for office and occasional gaming use
Jul 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audiodane

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've spend some years in the home stereo and then home theater arena, and know my way around loudspeakers I'd say at the mid-fi level.  I cannot afford the best, but afford the best I can about 5+ years after it's release.  This puts me behind the technological curve, but I'm able to get far more bang for my used buck than my buddies who want "the very newest."

That said, I'm curious to venture ever so slightly into the headphone world.  As the phrase goes, "a poor man can only afford the best," because they can only afford to pay once. I somewhat follow close to that phrasing, with the tinge of "wait for the used market" added for flavor.

I have AV123 Rocket loudspeakers with Skiing Ninja crossover upgrades. Love them or hate them, I feel that they have clear and lush mid-body but not muddy, fast and tight bass that rock the house but not overly boomy or loose. I would say they are pretty laid-back, but still maintain clarity.  Like av123 or not, I love the sound of my Rocket's.

I'm looking for something similar in headphones, though in just beginning this search, I recently stumbled across open-baffle headphones.  I've heard a few open-baffle speakers before (both traditional cone and electrostatic), and have really enjoyed the "air" or spaciousness that they bring to the presentation.  So open-baffle headphones have my curiosity.  I am looking for very comfortable, over-ear stuff.  On-ear becomes painful over hours, as does in-ear, in my experience.  Long-term comfort is pretty important..

My musical style varies pretty wildly from Rush to Edvard Grieg, McLaughlin to The Ting Ting's. Pandora seems to think for the most recent five or so years that my favorite music consists of  strong beat with female vocals. Plenty of appreciation for Natalie Walker, Evanescence, Imogen Heap, Ingrid Michaelson, and Kate Havnevik don't hurt, and a healthy dose of Louis Armstrong, U2, Duran Duran (showing my age here), and all sorts of 60s through 10's folk, pop, rock, classical, and dance. My wife has even been able to successfully find a handful of Country artists that I've enjoyed (though admittedly, they're on the "pop" side of country).  I might start a work session with Orff's Carmina Burana and then follow it up with a bass-heavy techno track, or a luscious female vocal track from Adele.

I found some reviews of the Philips Fidelio L1 and the Senn. HD600 over at InnerFidelity.com, and speaking briefly with Tyll Hertsens over there, he recommends I consider the HD600's over the L1's.  Price on both are quite a bit out of my league.  eBay pricing leads the best deals on both the L1's and HD600's to be in the $150 range.  While I'm looking for a little lower still ($100?), I'm also curious what other consensus is on the HD600, the L1, and any other recommendations that people may toss my way. I'm also always interested in the well-used and in-need-of-solder-repair units..  Being very comfortable with solder repairs, I can sometimes get a better deal, fix it myself, and enjoy it for many years.

So, there you have it.  If anyone has any thoughts on these two headphones as well as any others they may want to recommend, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
..dane

ps.- I suppose my intended use would fit nicely here.  Mostly office work.  I have my own office, so the leakage of open headphones is not a problem, and allows me to still easily here the phone or people calling down the hall to each other. Sources include typical things like a Marantz FM tuner, iPod, and a computer. If I like them enough, I may occasionally take them home to do some late-night gaming or audio/video editing for the church or family movies.  But-- mostly, keeping my feet tapping and my head bobbing at work while I'm plugging away on the computer.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 4
If you want bang for your buck, we are talking vintage headphones and modding, etc.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Hmm..  So long as it is a reasonable amount of modding, I suppose I'm not against it. I'm assuming these mods improve SQ, but don't destroy WAF or comfort? I'm not against modding- just didn't have that in mind.  I am willing to consider it if you have some links that can point me in some specific directions (with pictures) to see what I'm up against, as well as what you're recommending?

cheers,
..dane

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd say it is for veteran head-fiers to know what to get/ go for, and I don't have the knowledge. But if you are lucky, you can get headphones for way under 100$ that rivals and surpass the mid-fi contenders around 200-400 dollars. At least that is what I have heard. If you want to do some modding, many like to play with the fostex t50rp.
I can't really point you towards any knowledgeable people on that matter, sorry.

Will try to come up with some more 'normal' suggestions for good headphones, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back