yet another newbie headphone post
Mar 30, 2004 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geek42

Head-Fier
Howdy folks...

I'm looking to buy my first set of decent headphones (mid-fi, as it were). I've been reading and searching obsessively for the last couple weeks, but I still have a couple outstanding questions that I was hoping y'all could help me out with.

Basically, I'm your typical poor college student looking for good sound on a tight budget (I know I know, and I'm sorry
wink.gif
). After a bunch of research (read extensive procrastination reading this site when I should have been studying), I decided that I really need a closed phone. I'm going to be using it for both home and portable use. Some of the environments I'm in are loud, and others won't stand for the noise level of open phones...
My portable device as of now is a Palm Tungsten T3, and I may be buying a portable amp eventually. For home use, I'll be hooking them through the output of my Chaintech AV710 sound card, on hi-rez mode.

I previously purchased a set of Sony EX-71 canalphones, and while I loved the isolations, and the sound quality was acceptable (mostly), the inconvenience of inserting them and removing them constantly made them more trouble than they were worth to me. So canalphones are out of the equation.

Also, I'll eventually be purchasing a higher end phone for home use exclusively, and amping it appropriately.

I've narrowed my choices to these from my research, price range is under 100 dollars or so (like I said, I'm a poor college student):

Beyer DT-231
Senn PX200
Senn HD212 Pro
Sony D66 Eggos
Sony V6

I listen to a wide variety of music (a lot of help right?), but tend to really concentrate on more accoustically oriented tunes - Tori Amos, Morphine, John Mayer, etc... I also like to rock out occasionally, but detail and quality sound is most important to me in the quieter stuff (when i'm listening to hatebreed, I'm not looking for detail and soundstaging
tongue.gif
).

The final qualification is that they must be lighwieght enough to hand around my neck without driving me crazy. I know it sounds silly, but i'm constantly putting my headphones on and taking them off for conversations, classes, etc. So I really want something that won't be so bulky i can't just drape em around my neck and not worry about em... Bear in mind these are primarily portable units - I've got a fairly good stereo in my room, so I won't be using them all that often there.

My questions are these: first, which will give me the best sound (in your humble opinions)? It from reading, I'm most tempted by the descriptions of the beyers and the eggos, although I haven't seen much on the HD212's. Second: Which will be most comfortable for wearing around, and putting on and takinig off constantly? I'd love to hear from people that own the models in this regard. Third, does anybody have any experience using a Palm product to drive headphones? I don't know what the output is, but I listen above half volume with my POS headphones I've got now. I would be getting an amp in the future, but I don't want to be unhappy with the sound until I do...

If anybody could help me, I'd really appreciate it - I'm suffering from information overload here - all the models are blending into one big mush...

If you've gotten this far - Thanks!!

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 9
I just the Audio Technica ATH-A500's for 100 from Audiocubes and i Love them, they can be driven with my Ipod and they sound great, the only problem I can see is they are kinda large, they are really comfy though.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Don't hang around this forum if you're looking for a budget system, geek 42..

I came in thinking $200 would be plenty...
smily_headphones1.gif

They'll get you, too..

Run, don't walk....

LOL

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 9
If you didn't need isolation/portability, Sony MDR-CD780 would have been the best sounding cans you can get (around $99).

Although I use Sony MDR-V6 as a portable headphone set, I do think it may sound a tad bit too harsh/bright for female vocal oriented application, but for rocks/metals it should suit most people's taste. Audio Technica A500 can be an alternative (not sure if you can call it portable
biggrin.gif
).

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
I'm sure i've seen this post before, or perhaps all the "i'm new, help me" threads are starting to look the same.

i read through my post and thought the same thing - i tried to be different, really i did!
tongue.gif

Seriously though - i'm still worried about the comfort level of the phones - i don't want to deal with something too cumbersome... that's why i ruled out the ATA500's - they look really huge in the pics...

I've been tempted to go with the KSC-55's, cause they're cheap and well respected, but they're also open, which could cause issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back