Yet another newbie basic rig thread - HD 595
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bioyuki

New Head-Fier
So I picked up a pair of HD 595s last year during the whole Live Cashback thing. They sound great and I'm hoping to come up with my first basic setup.

Source will be my laptop for the most part, sometimes my iPhone. Budget is $150-$200. Do I need a DAC? What kind of amp should I be looking at? It looks like the LD I+ would be a good match with the 595s, but I'm worried it won't do well with higher impedance cans if I decide to upgrade to 650s or whatever in the near future.

On a more general level, is it even worth amping HD 595s? Should I consider taking this budget and buying better headphones?

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 10
I've also recently bought a pair of HD595's - I'm very new to this sort of quality (been using very cheap headphones in the past) so I was pretty amazed. Out of my PC (Supreme FX II Soundcard) they sound great, however when I tried them in an old hi fi receiver they sounded far better, especially increasing the bass. I'd like to recreate this sort of quality from my PC (especially the bass) but I've become stuck as to what to buy - would a headphone amp be able to do this? Would replacing the soundcard make much of a difference?

Thanks - apologies for the newbieness! :p

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Replacing the soundcard with an external DAC or DAC/AMP will usually give an increase in sound quality. It depends on how good the "Supreme FX II Soundcard" is.

I would suggest a DAC/AMP and then you can use it elsewhere.

Steven.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend looking at the reviews of amps:

Home amps.

Meier Audio amps

Portable USB DAC amps

Portable amps

Have fun.

Personally I'd go for an iBasso D3 because I already have one.

Steven.

Thanks, I've already read many of these threads before and some of them aren't pertinent seeing as the hardware in there vastly exceeds my budget.

My original questions still go unanswered however. With this budget should I consider a DAC? A DAC/amp? Just an amp? Or should I save up for better cans?

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 10
The Asus Essence STX is something to look into it has a dedicated headphone amp. I use it and its an amazing sound card there is a big thread here you should consider if you want to replace your exsisting sound card.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I second the iBasso D3, if not, go for the iBasso D2 if the AAA batteries bother you, the D2 comes with a Li Battery, which can be charged through USB powered from your computer. Its a good Burson USB DAC I2S to a good Wolfson D/A. You will be pleased. I2S is a serial bus transport transferring info directly from the Burson PCM2706 to the Wolfson WM8740 (Has great rep among Head-Fiers and audiophiles).

The D2 shipped is in your budget of $200. Difference between the D2 and D3. D2 uses a Li Battery and can be powered just through the USB connection, battery not needed. The D3 has a better amp. The DAC setup is exactly the same. D3 also uses I think 5 or 6 AAA batteries for more juice, which provides 100 hours of playback though, just the amp alone. If you are driving it through USB to use the DAC, you need the AAA batteries also. Bit more cumbersome, but better sound, and its 219 without shipping.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back