Yet another looking for wire thread :D
Feb 9, 2005 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Garbz

Headphoneus Supremus
But this one is with a twist.

I'm looking for 24AWG or 26AWG silver plated copper wire, stranded. And I live in Australia.

Further more what conducter is 4-5 times the size of 24-6AWG? Size wise I mean width or surface area or however it works. Basically 4 times the current capacity. I could do with some of that too
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd also be looking for some techflex and a quality 3.5mm connector would be a bonus. I'll let you guess what I need it for but to give you a hint :
580smile.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 9
the silver plated copper wire is available from farnell but its pretty pricey iirc (like $30 for a 25m roll or something).

techflex i order from wirecare.com but nylon braided sleeving that i like better is cheap from RS (~$10 for 5m)only comes in black though.

there are some nice small neutrik rean 1/8" plugs i got from my local music/pa store for a couple of bucks, black and gold plated. you should be able to find them locally. other factorysound.com has them and i think farnell or rs have switchcraft mini jacks
smily_headphones1.gif

happy hunting
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Get on to eBay. I just picked up 50ft of 24awg silver plated copper in teflon and 50ft of 20awg silver plated copper in teflon for $20 inc shipping to the UK! Must admit, I was very happy
smily_headphones1.gif

g

Feb 9, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Connectors are fine now I have to make an order through THL shortly anyway.
wirecare.com looks great. Does anyone have any experience with their chrome techflex? It certainly looks the part
smily_headphones1.gif

Ebay is hard to work with atm. I am looking at one seller. Will take a little longer to work with though.

Just a question to pick your brains, the wire is labeled: 20' 24 AWG AEROSPACE GRADE SHIELDED CABLE 8 CONDUCTOR. Now I assume that 24AWG is the rating for each wire correct? So putting 2 or four together will give me what rating?

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 9
2 or 4 x 24awg
wink.gif

i havent tried the chrome techflex, but it may somehow affect the properties of the cable acting as an inductor or a shield or something. i couldn't tell you coz im not _THAT_ nerdy
wink.gif
i rate the superhero and oger techflex.

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Just a question to pick your brains, the wire is labeled: 20' 24 AWG AEROSPACE GRADE SHIELDED CABLE 8 CONDUCTOR. Now I assume that 24AWG is the rating for each wire correct? So putting 2 or four together will give me what rating?

It should be roughly 21 AWG for a pair of 24 AWG wires and 18 AWG for 4 wires per this link (epanorama) here. For shorthand reference, it notes for each doubling of diameter, it drops down 3 gauge sizes.

Feb 10, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 9
wow that wire is really cheap. I'll send them an email on the weekend.

Just a question the size of the wires is critical. So to pair them up if I don't simply use 4 strands of 24awg. 24AWG + 18AWG, 26AWG + 20AWG correct?

It's all comming together now. Does anyone else think that wire is too cheap !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back