Yet Another KEF LS 50 amp desktop setup issue.... not sure what to buy! please help
Dec 30, 2016 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

samk1234

New Head-Fier
I've recently purchased a pair of used LS 50 at a decent price. I intend to use it as desktop speakers, sitting between 1- 2 feet away from the speakers , themselves being a 1-2 feet apart as well. The room i'm in is very small. My source will be mainly compressed audio files (yes i know the kef are unforgiving, but i just really wanted them, and will also hook them up to my TT's). I now need to purchase a good integrated amp/dac combo, one which will bring out the qualities of the speakers in such a close range. Although they will mainly be sitting on the desk, i will also take them out to the living space at times... which is significantly larger than the room i'm in... so i know that in those situations more power will be preferred. I do have a set of awesome carver amps 250w... but i keep those for my q900 (those are upstairs, not in the living space). I also wouldnt mind having an amp with network and/or bluetooth capabilities for when the ls 50 are in the living space.

I have done tons of research and am torn on what to purchase. Many mention the sensitivity of the speakers and how it needs a hefty amp with a strong power supply, yet most who use it in a desktop setting have very weak amplifier dacs. Can anyone give me recommendations on what amp will fit these speakers best , based on what my use is for.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 5
1-2 feet away!  If you have that little room you need headphones instead. And only 1-2 feet apart? I don't know of anything other than headphones that will work.  You'd be better off selling your other speakers and using the Carver with the LS 50's in the living room with an SVS sub, then buying yourself a pair of Sennheiser HD 6xx's, and a Schiit stack or if you wanna splurge an AG NFB-11 or a Jotenheim for your desktop.

I would also consider a streaming service such as Tidal to avoid the compressed files, and for $35 you can get a Chrome Audio disk which will give you uncompressed audio instead of bluetooth.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 5
I prefer some sort of speaker on my desk as opposed to having something in or around my ear. this is also because i like the flexibility of taking it into the living area, as mentioned. originally i considered active monitors, but i prefer a speaker geared towards musicality as opposed to accuracy. as well, i've always wanted to own a pair of ls 50's , just based on what i read. i got a good price and i feel like it's not a bad decision, down the line i know they could be used for other uses. don't forget the kef ls 50's are made in a way that suits near field listening, there has recently been a powered (active) version of them made.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 5
I use a Peachtree Audio Nova (no longer made but can be found used for decent prices) and I've been very happy with it. I have a more typical setup in my living room but for near field, those 80 watts would be more than enough and the DAC is very good.

Contrary to what audiophiles and audiophools say, it doesn't take tons of watts to adequately drive inefficient speakers unless you're trying to fill a concert hall with sound. In my 16'x14' room, I've never even had the knob to 12 o'clock and it's plenty loud. At 2 feet away, you'd likely never go above about 9 o'clock, if you wanted to keep your hearing. 
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Given that you're using them in the extreme near field, why not the NAD D3020 which retails for $399, has a DAC, asynchronous USB input, Toslink (for Chromecast), and Bluetooth connectivity.  Class D, 30 wpc into 8 ohms, remote, subwoofer outlet, and .oo5% thd.  Roughly 3" width x 9" high x11"deep.  Weighs 4.85 lbs and Crutchfield and Amazon, among others sell it.

It's 50 wpc brother is the Nad D7050 which retails for $799.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back