Yet another "introduce me to new music genre" thread: part Swing
Jul 28, 2004 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

quke

100+ Head-Fier
I'm mostly a rap dude and know little about other music. However I seem to appreciate jazz-rap more and more. I heard Jurassic 5's Quality Control already few years ago and ever since I've been getting back to the last track on the album: Swing Set. That instrumental piece must be the most groovalizing, ass shaking, leg stomping mix ever made (yes, I'm talking about dancing).

Now, don't laugh, is swing really about that? I know it's sampled, scratched, and mixed, but is that song swing? Are there swing artists that produce the same energy in their music as in that mix? Could you recommend some swing artists and albums in general?

Also some very, ehm, energetic big bands would be welcome.

If you haven't heard the Jurassic 5 song, I urge you to get it. The whole album is excellent for that matter.

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Yay! I'm new to swing too!
tongue.gif

I know sure what Swing and Big Band sounds like, but would definetly like to learn more. I've only got 10 to 20 swing albums

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 9
well I'm not really sure what swing is exactly... if someone can post an example of it here it is possible that I might already listen to it
smily_headphones1.gif

as for generally energetic music... I have two suggestions: asian dub foundation [get their album rafi's revenge] and xploding plastix [behind the eightball is the only one I have been able to find]

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Swing music went through a revival about 6 years ago IIRC (just after the Ska revival). The bands to look for are the Cherry Poppin Daddies, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.

That J5 track kind of fed off the revival, and indeed is pretty much representative of the sound of these bands. As far as "original" swing music I don't know what older recordings are considered standards. Remember that the original music was in the 30's so decent recordings may be hard to find
smily_headphones1.gif
Definitely try some old Duke Ellington though.

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 9
The important thing to know about Swing is that it is best used as a verb not an adjective, as in "that cat can really swing". As such, many genres of music can be "swung" (i.e. played with a swing rhythm). Of course, swing music is most closely associated with jazz, particulary that originating in the 20s and 30s. Swing music often has an infectious rhythm that makes you want to move, hence swing dancing. In the 30s dance halls were packed, sometimes literally shoulder to shoulder, with people dancing the lindy hop, balboa and other swing based dances. For many people, the attractive element of swing is how it makes you want to move.

Most of the early swing recordings from the 20s and 30s are, unfortunately, quite bad from an audiophile point of view. Swing enthusiasts often enjoy having their own little time-travel experience by listening to these early recordings. For most people, however, these early recordings are unacceptable from a sonic point of view. Most of the popular early tunes have been re-recorded in the 1950s and later and are much higher quality sonically.

More accessable to most folks is music from the "neo-swing" movement of the 1990s. Bands like "Indigo Swing", "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy", and "Royal Crown Revue". Neo-swing is, of course, often disapproved of by "true swing/jazz" fans.

I haven't heard Jurassic's "Swing Set" but now I am curious. It turns out that there is a variant of swing dancing called "hip-hop lindy" derived from lindy hop. You may want to check out Yallopin' Hounds CD "Lindy Hop Deluxe".

My guess is that you probably won't find much that is closely reminiscent of "Swing Set", but if you are looking to broaden your musical horizons, then swing music may have something to offer you.

-Z

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies. I'm enlightened.

Squirrel Nut Zippers, eh? I remember their cartoon music video on MTV in the 90s. Loved it then already, but didn't know it was swing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Is THIS swing?:
tongue.gif

Louis Armstrong
Ella Fitzgerald
Count Basie
Duke Ellington
(These are all the swing artists I got...)

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 9
"Swing" is often used synonymously with "Big Band", although big bands don't always play swing (like Gil Evans' orchestra and McCoy Tyner's big band). And small bands can play swing music, too.

Duke Ellington is definitely swing.
Count Basie is swing.

I hate to admit it, but I'm not familiar enough with Louis and Ella to say whether they're swing...but I think that they have both done some swing music.

If you want to hear swing music with some real energy, track down "Sing, Sing, Sing" by Benny Goodman. There's a good version on the CD The Benny Goodman Story.

The Canadian Brass did an excellent album of Duke Ellington tunes called Take The "A" Train. Glenn Miller In The Digital Mood is also a good pick, despite the slightly cheezy title. Give them a break, CDs had just come out and all-digital recordings got people excited.

I'm off to burn a swing music CD-ROM for the car...

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTg5V2oA_hY

Was just watching this on YouTube. Am off to check out the suggestions in this thread. Thanks 2004 users (if you are still around here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back