* Yet another interminable IEM request
Mar 24, 2007 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

lukealexander

100+ Head-Fier
15 months after I discovered this site, I am still no closer to my goal of getting the ideal IEM for my needs.
The first time I crapped out and got HD555s, then a soundcard (or three), then Vibes.

This is all very well for at home, but on the go I find myself still using EX51 variants due to their sound isolation (I gave the Vibes to my girlfriend).

So, for hopefully the final time: I need earphones that are the following
  1. Excellent isolation (more than EX51/71 range)
  2. Good sound for rock, acoustic & house
  3. Low profile & discreet
  4. Relatively easy to remove & insert
  5. Cords able to be worn behind ear

The budget is ~£60 // $120, and they will be almost exclusively used on public transport & walking through city streets. For this reason, absolute SQ is not at the top of my requirement list.

NOTE: I have actually considered just getting a pair of highly isolating low-end buds, in the mould of the Marshmallows - I don't know if this is a better scenario.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 34
Sadly, the Marshmallows have a little port that lets in quite a bit of noise, so while their isolation is a little better than that of the Sonys, it's not much to write home about. If you're happy with the EX51s' isolation, then by all means buy the Marshmallows.

On the other hand, if you want more isolation - and a set that meets all of your characteristics, I think - consider the Westone UM1s. Being that you're in Britain, however, I think your budget may be stretched a little because they're rarely discounted (though Earphone Solutions has them at $109) and you're going to have to pay shipping and duties and all of that nonsense.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 34
At 40-50GBP, the ER6i sit rather comfortably within your price range. They will also isolate a great deal and meet most of your other requirements. The only "issue" would be the fact that you'd have to wear the cable straight down as opposed to behind-the-ear.

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 34
i think UM1 are the best solution for this money, isolation is quite good, comfort is perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radzique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think UM1 are the best solution for this money, isolation is quite good, comfort is perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

+1... i tested the UM1 and fell in love, ended up ordering a pair of UM2s..
k1000smile.gif
for that price range, you should try out Shure e2c, and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3s as well. heck, i've see shure e4c's for around 130-140 on this board, maybe bump up your budget a lil bit for those?

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 34
I did look at the UM1 & ER6i extensively last time I was in the market. The thin bass of the Etymotics and their apparent lack of comfort (protruding from the ear etc) put me off. As for the UM1s, their none permanent tips and transparent casing were the negatives.

I was very drawn to the extreme comfort people said the UM1s provided.

How does the isolation of UM1 & ER6 compare? I know you can get UM2 in black, but they are way out of my price range.
Also, how much would some tips run me for the UM1? The importance of being able to insert/remove easily is crucial.

EDIT: I wish I had just decided all those months ago to go for the UM2, I could have bought them for all the inferior items I have purchased since!

EDIT 2: I also have this concern about the UM1s looking like hearing aids?

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, how much would some tips run me for the UM1? The importance of being able to insert/remove easily is crucial.

EDIT: I wish I had just decided all those months ago to go for the UM2, I could have bought them for all the inferior items I have purchased since!

You can get a Shure fit kit from earphonesolutions.com for around $25. It includes a few different types of tips including foamies. My personal favorite is the IM716 triflange modded to biflange. It is made of a really soft material that I can just shove into my ear without pulling my ear back like I have to do with every other type of tip I have ever tried.

If you really want a UM2 you should probably wait another month when the Westone 3 is supposed to come out. You will probably see a bunch of UM2 pop up in the FS board (not mine though
icon10.gif
).

And what is wrong with the clear casing? Personally I think it's kinda cool to see what they look like on the inside. They do look like hearing aids, but I think that is kind of an advantage as it makes people less likely to try and talk to you while you are wearing them.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 34
i am not sure how much tips go for as i haven't received my UM2s yet. for me, the UM1 was more comfortable than the er6 and shures. i had a hard time obtaining a good seal with those. then again, my ears might be shaped funny. the only for you to really know is to try them out. unless you go custom, check on the custom UE thread, i drooled...

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 34
And also more likely people jump me since I am a defenceless deaf person! Perhaps not...

Anyway, even if I could get the UM1s for ~£70, adding shipping & tips would take this cost higher again.

Head-Fi is the devil
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 34
you can buy a used pair (UM1) for about 80-90 usd from "headphones for sale" thread
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 34
*zoom*

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 34
I won the auction on some sealed (new) Westone UM1s from a UK eBay seller.
£58 ($113) was the price, which is what I was willing to pay to import them. Their UK price from stores is anywhere from £90-£110 so I am quite pleased.

Only downside is that the seller has just lost his father and isn't sure whether to continue with the business, so I am withholding payment until he lets me know what is best.

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 34
Sorry the Vibes didn't meet your needs -- hope your girlfriend enjoys them.

The Ety ER6i's don't protrude like the ER4's do ... but I think you'll enjoy the Westones (at least I hope you do).

Head-Fi's not really the devil ... but it's on the devil's speed dial and "favorites," that's for sure.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 34
Yeah but making incremental steps until the final perfect IEM, i.e. customs, helps you to appreciate the sound more
biggrin.gif
Your wallet won't thank you but... erm... hmm
biggrin.gif
Besides, there is a chance you'll be satisfied with a relatively budget pair and stop at that. Shame the Vibes didn't' quite do it for you. Would delaying the purchase help? With the Westone 3 out sometime, the UM2 may well drop in price. Despite that, I still bought mine for a reasonable £120 in January. Even if I get the 3's though, I'm keeping the UM2s
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but making incremental steps until the final perfect IEM, i.e. customs, helps you to appreciate the sound more
biggrin.gif

And then even customs aren't even perfect! Upgrading is a fun experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back