Yet another "I need a headphone reccomendation" thread
Sep 13, 2004 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Slayeren

New Head-Fier
G'day!

I Had a pair of mdr-v6s for a few years and was reasonably satisfied with them, untill earlier this summer all my headphones/cd player/cds(alot of 'em) got stolen. So now, I need a new pair of cans. I found that after listening to my v6's for a long time, I got kinda "bored" with the sound so to speak. kinda hard to explain. So anyway, I need a new pair of cans in the sub $150 range that are closed with excellent isolation, very comforable, and reasonably portable. (note: I considered my v6's portable enough, and I would even do with bigger ones. I really don't mind lugging stuff arround). I don't want canalphones because I like to share my music sometimes, you know let somone else listen for awhile, and the canalphones would have my earwax and such on 'em, not ideal for sharing. a few other notes: I'll be listening to them through some portable audio player that is as yet decided, but probably an archos av380/av480. I listen to many different styles of music, but mainly electronic music like boards of canada, amon tobin, orbital. But I do also enjoy stuff like rage against the machine, and classical/jazz. So I guess I need a diverse set of phones. I prefer a phone where you can best pick apart the different elements, so I guess you would say a pair with good "soundstage". I looked into the hd-25s but people say they aren't the best at isolation. So... any suggestions?

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayeren
G'day!

I Had a pair of mdr-v6s for a few years and was reasonably satisfied with them, untill earlier this summer all my headphones/cd player/cds(alot of 'em) got stolen. So now, I need a new pair of cans. I found that after listening to my v6's for a long time, I got kinda "bored" with the sound so to speak. kinda hard to explain. So anyway, I need a new pair of cans in the sub $150 range that are closed with excellent isolation, very comforable, and reasonably portable. (note: I considered my v6's portable enough, and I would even do with bigger ones. I really don't mind lugging stuff arround). I don't want canalphones because I like to share my music sometimes, you know let somone else listen for awhile, and the canalphones would have my earwax and such on 'em, not ideal for sharing. a few other notes: I'll be listening to them through some portable audio player that is as yet decided, but probably an archos av380/av480. I listen to many different styles of music, but mainly electronic music like boards of canada, amon tobin, orbital. But I do also enjoy stuff like rage against the machine, and classical/jazz. So I guess I need a diverse set of phones. I prefer a phone where you can best pick apart the different elements, so I guess you would say a pair with good "soundstage". I looked into the hd-25s but people say they aren't the best at isolation. So... any suggestions?

I don't know what is meant by "aren't the best at isolation" but I will tell you that they isolate very well. With music going you cannot hear anything but the loudest external noises, and unless you're playing your music extremely loud, it's not going to be heard by others. I can't hear my own voice with my set on. Maybe they aren't "the best", but they isolate pretty darn well.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks for your replies!

another reason why I don't really want to go with the hd25's , I saw on a thread that thier sound is kinda "enclosed" as opposed to "airy". I'd rather have something that kindof sounded more "light". so, with that in mind.. does it just leave..... the ultrasones? maybe I really just don't know what I'm talking about.

another quick question, when headphones are said to be "resonant", what does that mean? I know resonant as enphasising the frequency next to the cutoff point on a low pass filter, but what does it mean with headphones seeing as there are lots of frequencies?

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 6
Get the AKG K271 Studio's that are in the for sale forum. A very good deal and they should beat out anything else at that price. [$116 USD including shipping]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back