Yet another, 'help me find some headphones that meet my needs'
Oct 24, 2005 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Edvard_Grieg

100+ Head-Fier
Yeah, like many others before me, I'd appreciate some guidance on appropriate headphones.

I am looking for some relatively cheap $75 or less (potentially more if you can really sell me on something bettr) headphones to use at work. Sound quality is marginally important, but not pertinent. My first priorities are comfort, size and durability. I have some KSC-35s that I like, but I am not sure about durability. I have some a pair of AKG K240 Monitors (600Ohm) that I like the sound on and are comfortable, but they are obviously harder to drive, and rather large. The ones I had used recently was an older pair of Panasonic headphones that I am not overly fond of the sound on, and were incredibly uncomfortable.

I have thought about some canalphones, but I am concerned about them fitting correctly, and potentially blocking too much noise. Plus I am concerned they will not be as durable as I'd like. My mom had gotten some Sony 51s that I tried, and I had trouble with all the tips to get any to feel comfortable to stay in and not pop out. That being the case I am hesitant to spend the money online on a pair of Shures or Etys that I could potentially run into the same problem with.

I had looked into the PX100s in the past, but at the time I was told that the KSC-35s were at least as good...

I have also heard some good things reading around about the HD580s, but I am a little concerned about overall size (may be worth it though).

So....I am completely open to suggestions, give some ideas. I will be using the computer as the source usually, but they may also get used with my Rio Karma as well.

Thanks!

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 12
Computer source + comfort + durability + good sound + under $75 = Sennheiser HD 497 or EH 350. HD 485 if you like something more bass heavy. For even better sound (approaching audiophile quality), you could spend an additional $30 or so on the HD 555, which is an incredible value headphone right now IMHO.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 12
The 580s are probably considerably better than the 555 for sound quality, resolution, and extension. It's the same breed as the top-of-the-line Sennheisers. If you can afford, go for it. BUT: the 555 is much easier to drive out of a computer. With the 580, you will probably need an amp (like a CMOY or a PA2V2 from www.electric-avenues.com), so budget an additional $60 or so for that.

I have the Sandisk SDMX1. It does the job and is a great value. Very small and quite convenient - works just like a flash thumbdrive (you can drag and drop your files in Windows Explorer), and easily replaceable AAA batteries (which the iPod doesn't have). The Sansa is their newer model, and I've heard good things about it. First to market with 2GB and 4GB flash players after Apple, I believe.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 12
For the work environment I think you've got a good headphone in the KSC35. If you need to hear some of what is going around you the Ety's probably won't workout to well. But if you can handle the isolation and fit of an IEM they are a definite improvement over both the KSC35 and PX100. The level of detail in the Ety ER6 still blows me away out of the Rio Karma and improves with an amp.

If your just looking for a little different sound and need an open can the PX100 will do that for you. They are well built, easy to drive, and comfortable. They are, IMHO, much darker than the KSC35 or at least they use to be? Search some of the threads here about the PX100 driver being different in the newer releases. To compare the 2 the KSC35 sounds like you’re in the front row of the performance and with the PX100 it sounds like you listening from a distance.

The Grado SR60 is often recommended too and might be a good fit or a few dollars more gets you into an MS1. I have no experience with them but the Grado HF-1 leaks a Lot more than either KSC35 or PX100. Just something to keep in mind depending on your workplace and proximity to others.

Good Luck!

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 12
if your willing to try a canalphone I'd go with the shure E2C, they can be had for cheap. the cord style (behind the ear) is extremely practical, unobtrusive, and it helps secure the headphone in your ear. the Phones themselves are very durable.

to further improve our recommendations please tell us:
Is the work enviroment loud?
does it matter if your music can be heard outside the headphone?
will you be active with these or will you be sitting still?
cool.gif

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm going to dissent against the canalphones. If you're in a work environment, the discomfort just ain't worth it. Canal phones are great for portability or travel, but if I am in a place like an office or at home, I'd like something more comfy for extended listening. Maybe you could look at the HD 280Pro if you need isolation?

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 12
Ok, so different questions, would I be better off investing in an amp to help drive the AKG K240 Monitors, or are some of these Sennheiser phones going to be significantly better? It was my understanding that the AKGs were good phones, just harder to drive.

If the PX100s are on the darker side I don't think I'll be as interested, I am generally concerned with strong detail and good, but not harsh mids and highs. I like the bass, but I am not a bass head.

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 12
The environment is relatively quiet (one of the reasons I need something beyond the din of the keyboards
wink.gif
) I don't know if it is possible, but I would like them to not leak too much sound (even though there is distance from my coworkers), but at the same time I don't want them to be so isolating that I can't hear if they are asking me something. I don't know if these are mutually exclusive conditions or not...if they are then I think I would rather have them be a little more isolating than leak noise.

I have tried looking through some of the full reviews on the different phones, but unfortunately they never seem to be comparing them to similar things I'd be looking at.

Ie, given the senns that have been mentioned...what am I gaining as I move up the line? At what point to I hit diminishing marginal returns, where I am paying more money for a minimal improvement?

I have always been curious about the Grados since they have such a loyal fan base, but they don't look as comfortable as a lot of the others, and they don't look nerely as durable. Finally, I am a bit bothered by the amount of 'tweaking' that people do to them, and I'd prefer something that will be rather good out of the box (burn-in is of course acceptable)

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 12
OK, on the comfort side, I have doing some more reading through some other threads, specifically, http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125902 and my concern now is that the Senns may be too tight. I have a really large head 7 3/4 baseball hat.

edit: reading around some more, I think I'll give the AKG K14ps a go. They supposedly sound better than the KSC-75s....I have some MX300s which sound 'ok' to me, and I think the classical earbud may be the best compromise for work...I figure if I don't like them they aren't too expensive either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back