Yet another headphone advice thread. D2000?
Sep 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joshd

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to alot of dubstep and breakcore, some rock/heavy metal, and the occasional bit of classical.

At the moment I'm using HD595s, which sound ace for classical and metal, but I feel they lack a litte in the bass department, for electronic stuff.

I'm about to go to uni, so budget is tight. I can't afford an amp, so would need something that I can run ampless from a Xonar D2.

I guess I want something that has good solid bass, and can handle fast cymbal work etc very cleanly. I was reading the threads on the D2000's which, from people's descriptions, appear to be very awesome. Possibly a tad expensive, though. The DT880s seem quite good also? (although would need an amp for these?)

Can anyone suggest anything that would be a big upgrade over the 595's for the electronic genres in particular?

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 4
The denon d2000 does well with electronica, and has been praised with good classical performance as well.

You'll have a hard time finding a 'phone that does both genres exceptionally well, as they conflict.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd be getting it more for electronic performance, forgetting classical, since I listen to it far less, and could keep my 595's anyway maybe.

Any other opinions?

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 4
D2000 is quite good for electronica. I like how it handle bass and cymbals a lot. Some consider them to be a little slow, but I believe their lively sound and decent bass still suit electonica very well.

DT880 might be a bit too neutral for electronica.

An Ultrasone Proline 750 or something else in the Ultrasone line is also worth a consideration. I didn't like how it sounded, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back