Yet another hd580 amp question.
Nov 9, 2004 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

bdot

New Head-Fier
Hello,

After weeks and weeks of reading the amp forum, I am still trying to find and amp that would work well with my hd580's. My budget is ~300 USD and i can go a little more if it is needed but i dont want to spend over 400. The amp is going to be for homeuse only so it doesnt have to be portable. Also i do not want to get a tube amp because I know abosolutely nothing about tuberolling (if tuberolling means changing the tubes
confused.gif
).

Considering what I need, and dont want, I've been looking at the Gilmore Lite. If anyone has anyother suggestions or objections please post!

Thanks in advance.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 34
Rega Ear pehaps?

Don't discount it because at less than $300 it's a 'cheaper' headamp. It punches above its weight in this regard.

I use a Rega Ear at home with my HD650's and think the sound quality is quite something...

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 34
If you want a current production solid state amplifier for the HD-580 the Rega Ear is is a good value. If you are patient you should be able to find one that is previously owned for around $150.

If you have any plans to listen to vinyl LP records and place any value on having tone controls, a balance control, and multiple high level inputs, consider an older solid state Marantz amplifier such as the model 1060. These generally sell for around $100 and are a very good match for the HD-580 and HD-600 phones.

Take the money you save and put it towards either a better source (CD/SACD/Universal player or turntable) or more music.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 34
Bdot, the Rega Ear is designed by Rega Engineers to work with the higher end Senns. It's a "sure thing" for the HD 580s. What source do you plan to use with your new amp?

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 34
Have you considered getting a DIY amp? I would send a PM to MisterX and see what kind of PPA he can whip up within your budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 34
Well here it is, i have 450 saved up, and i plan to use 150 for the phones. if i went with the gilmore i would have to save up more and in maybe 1 or two weeks i would buy a new source, (planned to get 3960 or i could used my dad's. he has this old sharp dx-670 if i remember correctly.). For those one or two weeks I would have just ran it from the line out of my ipod until i got a new source.

Now, if i get the rega ear, ill have an extra 75 and i could use that for my source.

another question, where is the cheapest place i could get the rega ear new? cheapest i see online is 225.

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 34
I don't think that the 3960 is that great of a source when not modded. Unless you are thinking of modding, i'd use your dad's sharp unless it sounds very very horrible. I also think that there maybe be better options out there than a rega ear, but considering I haven't every heard amps other than that in the price range, I'm not too sure what to recommend.

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 34
I'd advise you to avoid creek amps. Poor value to the money.

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 34
Another recommendation for the Rega Ear, you won't be disapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back