Yet another HD201 thread
Feb 7, 2006 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tfunk408

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry guys, but I just got my HD 201 in the mail today. The reason I feel compelled to start another thread is that, straight out of the box, I am very impressed with them.

Few notes:

-They were way lighter than I imagined they'd be.

-The "leather" pads were not as soft/plush as I thought.

-The cord is very microphonic!

-The sound: not bass-shy at all! I was doubtful after reading all the reviews stating that these will be very light in the lows, but that has not been my experience. Of course, I am currently running them through the headphone-out of my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (it has a built-in headphone amp circuit I believe). They sound pretty darn good, and not just for their pricepoint. I can't wait 'til these are burned-in longer.

Just my 0.02

EDIT: My initial impression was from listening to trance. Switching to genres with more vocals, I can definately see how some would say there is some ssssibilance, especially with female vocals and cymbals.

Feb 7, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 7
These are currently the only actual headphones I own -- we'll see how long that lasts. I have several canal phones and IEMs, and I wanted to ease into "real" headphones without taking a financial plunge.

The same qualifier is used for these over and over, but they really are pretty good for the price. They're lighter than they look -- they are made of plastic and they certainly don't give an impression of luxury -- but they are not ugly and they seem sturdy and competent. I use them mainly for listening through the 2.1 speakers' headphone out when I'm at the computer. I haven't tried them with a portable yet.

All in all, I think Sennheiser has come up with a good "starter drug" -- I'm already sorry about my wallet from IEMs, and now I have headphones to think about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 7
There's the problem. You're gonna wanna hear more now...

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 7
i'll definately listen for changes as these burn in. i've also acquired a pair of hd555 that i'll need to burn in as well.

i picked these up because i am in need of a closed phone. this rounds out my collection (my previous closed phone was the triport- and many recommended the hd201 as a triport killer). i tend to like open phones more (ksc75, hence the hd555 purchase), but sometimes i need something to block out the fans/power supply of my computer.

next step- i'll probably recable these (maybe recable the hd555's as well) since there is a nice step-by-step DIY. i'm definately not going with silver-plated wires though; the highs are harsh enough as is.

one question, though: the pads don't seem to hug around the ears as snug as i would like. the padding at the top of the ear seems to be thinner than the bottom as well. does the fit improve with wear? this leads to my other question: are there any other pads that can be installed onto the hd201?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back