Yet another guitar + pedal + amp recommendation for a beginner.
May 6, 2008 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, I've been waiting to buy a decent guitar for years.

I'm okay at playing classical guitar, but I don't know electric guitars very well.
Any recommendations around 1000-2000$ budget? I rather not get cheap starter packs, because I would be using this guitar for years.

My initial consideration was standard strat, with decent amp + pedals, but I'm not entirely sure.

I mainly listen to/ would like to play classical rock, alternative, rock, prog rock, indie, and post-rock.

any suggestions?
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 53
i would recommend a Mexican made stratocaster
some amp (sorry, i don't know amps very well)
and an ibanez tube screamer. don't get a distortion pedal...its a different sound. you want overdrive

are you going to be performing?

May 6, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 53
Lots of good stuff in the sub 1k$ range as far as guitars. Just look around on zzounds or musicians friend or better yet go to the local music store and play on stuff in your price range. As long as you stick with the known brands and pick something thats comfortable to you, you cant really go wrong. Gibson, Fender, ESP/LTD, etc...

As far as pedals, I really like Boss pedals. Theyve always sounded great and theyre heavy duty so they'll last a long time.

Amps are more complicated. You could get something pretty nice if you dont drop too much cash on just the guitar. I'll leave it up to someone else to elaborate on amps.

May 6, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 53
do you have a guitar shop around you?

the best way to find a guitar you like is to pick one up and just start playing. find out what neck size you like...see if you like humbuckers or single coil pickups

perhaps bring a friend who know a little about guitars and neck warping, weird frets...etc etc

and perhaps wait for more experienced guitar players to respond...i just started playing guitar 9 months ago and got my electric not even 4 months ago

edit:
boss pedals are really nice
i have the DS-1...its a pretty famous pedal
not quite the sound i was looking for (i play mainly arctic monkeys)
but its a nice pedal that i'm going to keep anyways

maybe look into the boss sd-1
i had my eye on that one until i bought a cheap ibanez ts7
but the ibanez ts808 is really the "gold standard" of overdrives, imo

May 6, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have a guitar shop around me - and not too many of my friends are into guitars
frown.gif
I'm the weird one who like rock
biggrin.gif

hmmm

well...try out a telecaster or stratocaster
maybe a gibson les paul if you can afford a real one
i'm not a fan of epiphone...my friend has a pretty crappy epiphone

and maybe get one of the employees to help you. if its not guitar center, people who work in music stores are generally really nice and care about customers

edit: when you buy whatever guitar you choose, pick up a nice strap with thick leather ends.
i also recommend getting a dozen or so picks. my favorite are the yellow tortex picks by dunlop

May 6, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 53
I would go with an American Standard or Deluxe Stratocaster, a basic SS amp around 25 - 50 watts perhaps, and a good modeling pedal.

My brother has this pedal and it is pretty nice: Buy Boss ME-50 Guitar Multi Effects Processor online at Musician's Friend

Right now I am using a modded Mexican Strat through a modeling pedal which is usually bypassed and only used for special effects (delay, flange, octave, etc.) to a larger guitar amp with a footswitch to change between clean/overdrive/high-gain channels and turn reverb on and off.

It is probably like $700-800 altogether and it sounds pretty good.

May 6, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 53
strat is recommended to a lot of people, its actually pretty decent in price.
Les Paul... and Sexy Girl... those are amazingly priced.

In terms of amp, depends on how big you want it, ti really depends, check out roland amps or even Ibanez.

May 6, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
epiphone SGs definitely looks the part. How's their sound?

Ah, so you want something that screams ROCK and do a decent AC/DC once in a while? Go for this-

Music Go Round - Inventory Details

A used Gibson SG Faded. Made in the USA, has the dual humbuckers, probably outlast us all. Can also do a decent Cream-era Clapton as well.

That leaves you with a fair chunk of change under your $1k limit. There are any number of great little used 60's tube amps that will overdrive sweetly on their own under $300, but to be safe I'd just hit the local craigslist for a silverface Fender Vibro Champ for $300 even, and that way you get your cleans, and if you want distortion just rely on some at the preamp stage with a Tube Screamer pedal, 100 bucks tops. The good news about that combo is that the Champ actually sounds really sweet and clean with buckers, and the tremolo on it isn't half bad to boot, so you'll get at least 2 or three decent tones out of that rig. SG-Screamer-VibroChamp.

May 6, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 53
hmm so I narrowed it down to...
MIM Strat standard
american strat standard used
Gibson SG standard used (I just love the look of cherry finish)

coupled with decent boss/scremer pedal with fender/peavy tube amp...

which of these combos cover wide genre of rock?

thanks guys
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 53
if you want a good value les paul body guitar, check out the entry level PRS guitars. Very affordable and much better than epiphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back