Yet another Grado pad mod
Oct 6, 2001 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Well while listening to my Allesandro MSPs at 2:19 in the morning, I decided to fiddle around with the pads to see if I couldn't get a bit of a more comfortable fit. So I took a look at my little stockpile of spare pads for Grados...and took out the Radio Shack pads, while a hole cut into the middle. Took off the bowl pads, and then stuck the Radio Shack pads completely over the driver, so that the pad is completely flat against the driver (no part of the pad should be hanging over the driver). Basically the pad should be entirely behind that ridge that locks the pad into place. Then from there, just reapply the the bowl pads onto the drivers. The bowl pads should now just barely grip those ridges, since you've got the RS pads shoving them out.

The end result is you have a bit more cushioning for the bowl pads to push back into, which results in a more cushy feel to the pads. Also I could swear this somehow enlarged the bowl pads by just a tad, enough to turn them from supraural on my ears to just a bit more on the circumaural side. In any event, this mod is meant for comfort...soundwise, you'll probably get just a bit of a larger soundstage, and maybe a bit more treble...I haven't tested exactly what the sound effects are yet. It certainly does nothing negative to the sound.

Ultimately what you can also try to do, at the risk of ruining the bowl pads, is try and just apply those RS pads normally on the Grados, and then try and apply the bowl pads over those. End result...a definitely circumaural pair of Grados. I tried this before with the very old pair of Grado pads that are the size of the current RS pads (a lot smaller than all of the current pads, including those flat ones), except the foam is stiffer and made it a lot easier to fit a bowl pad over them. The RS pads are soft, and makes double applying over them a bit tougher. And you will end up overstretching your bowl pads if you do this mod permanently, so if you don't feel like ruining those bowl pads, don't try this. My above mod was meant as an alternative to this.

Oct 6, 2001 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Well even by putting a RS pad under a Grado bowl pad you still have the original problem.......Grado bowl pads are rough textured/uncomfortable for extended listening. The most comfortable best sounding solution I found was to get Grado SR60 comfy pads, cut out center, then flip over when installing so
original/stock hole is against you ear and cutout hole over driver body. This places driver distance similar to bowl pad, and gives great comfort/sound.

I did try some Radio Shack pads with center cutout, but they are even thinner than Grado comfy and place driver too close to ear. Comfy are a little better with center cutout, but sound much better flipped as described above because the extra distance from driver allows more detailed presentation......all IMO of course.

Oct 7, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, I just put socks on my SR-60's and love the comfort and the nice sound. Gotta chek'em with my MS-1's. Just to let you know, they are old socks, but cleaned with industrial strength bleach
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 4
well this is what I did.... I just got my new 325's and totally noticed that if the driver is closer to the ear, such as the donut pad, then the bass is louder, and the sound is a bit warmer.

Well what I did was I took the radioshack style pads, and I placed the completely passed the ridge that holds the pad on.

then I put the bowl pads on, and completely covered the radioshack pads on the back to push the front of the bowl's out more.

what has happened is that the bowls are bigger around the ear in more of a circumaural style and with the drivers much much closer to the ear, virtually flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back