Yet another gaming headphones thread...
Sep 13, 2006 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

dqniel

New Head-Fier
Before people start telling me to use the search function, let me begin by saying that I already have. My conclusion is that the AT ATH-A series are probably the best for gaming behind the DT770 cans. However, I have a few prerequisites to mention before I make a final decision, hence making my own thread. Given the following information, what would you all suggest? The combination of amps and cans that lead to different clarity, liveliness, and various other qualities is flat-out daunting. Because of this, hopefully if I give you my personal tastes in music, what I prefer sonically, and other requirements you'll all be able to point me in the right direction!

My current setup:

Check signature. Does the Pioneer VSX-305 receiver amp the headphone signal at all? I tried searching Google for its specifications but couldn't find them. Perhaps it be better to just run the headphones directly from the Chaintech AV-710? Maybe getting an LDM+ would be the best solution since it's one of the few amps in my price range?

My price range:

-<$150 between the amp and the headphone

Intended Uses:

-Electronica - Progressive Trance, Nu Breaks
-Rock - Classic, Heavy Metal, Indie, Acoustic
-Gaming - I play first person shooters in highly competitive environments. I
use NO EAX!!!! Only Miles 2D Positional.
-DVDs

Misc. Info:

-I fall asleep in my headphones a lot, but I've never broken any in my sleep
tongue.gif

-Does not need to be portable
-Circumaural
-Prefer closed, but only because the bugs outside my window are loud at
night. Don't let it stop you from recommending open cans.

My sonic preferences:

-Clarity over warmth
-Tight, natural bass over impactful, powerful bass. Bass is the least important aspect to me since mids and highs are more important in determining the location of footsteps in game.
-Smooth highs are a must instead of harsh highs. If somebody recommends me cans that turn the "ssss" sounds at the end of vocals into something painful, I'll hunt them down
wink.gif

-Liquid mids for the electronica
-MOST IMPORTANTLY!! A very good soundstage for gaming positioning

What I've thought about getting:

-k501 (used) with a LDM+
-A700
-A900 (used)
-EH350 with a LDM+
-DT231 with a LDM+

Thank you for your patience and time!

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dqniel
Bump. I thought I provided enough details or maybe people just don't like me
frown.gif

AT500/AT700/AT900 (900 being the best IMO) Beyers DT770. Senn 280 (for the bass response) HD555/HD595

Amps for under 150.00 The Little dot head amp is a good choice..Also look into the EC lunch box tube amps for 160.00...Hi end all the way, & look cute.. The PA2V2 is good for 60.00.. & the portaphile X3 sells for 109.00 with upgrades..

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 30
I've heard that the Audio Technica A900s are a good all arounder and if you email MusiciansFriends, they will match Bluetin's price of $168 and any purchase over $100 has free shipping availible and sales tax is only applicable to Utah, Missouri, and Washington.
wink.gif
Just saying for only $18 more. And the A700s aren't as recommended as the A500s, which are suppose to be the poor man's A900s.

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Before people start telling me to use the search function, let me begin by saying that I already have. My conclusion is that the AT ATH-A series are probably the best for gaming behind the DT770 cans. However, I have a few prerequisites to mention before I make a final decision, hence making my own thread. Given the following information, what would you all suggest? The combination of amps and cans that lead to different clarity, liveliness, and various other qualities is flat-out daunting. Because of this, hopefully if I give you my personal tastes in music, what I prefer sonically, and other requirements you'll all be able to point me in the right direction!

My current setup:

Check signature. Does the Pioneer VSX-305 receiver amp the headphone signal at all? I tried searching Google for its specifications but couldn't find them. Perhaps it be better to just run the headphones directly from the Chaintech AV-710? Maybe getting an LDM+ would be the best solution since it's one of the few amps in my price range?

My price range:

-<$150 between the amp and the headphone

Intended Uses:

-Electronica - Progressive Trance, Nu Breaks
-Rock - Classic, Heavy Metal, Indie, Acoustic
-Gaming - I play first person shooters in highly competitive environments. I
use NO EAX!!!! Only Miles 2D Positional.
-DVDs

Misc. Info:

-I fall asleep in my headphones a lot, but I've never broken any in my sleep
tongue.gif

-Does not need to be portable
-Circumaural
-Prefer closed, but only because the bugs outside my window are loud at
night. Don't let it stop you from recommending open cans.

My sonic preferences:

-Clarity over warmth
-Tight, natural bass over impactful, powerful bass. Bass is the least important aspect to me since mids and highs are more important in determining the location of footsteps in game.
-Smooth highs are a must instead of harsh highs. If somebody recommends me cans that turn the "ssss" sounds at the end of vocals into something painful, I'll hunt them down
wink.gif

-Liquid mids for the electronica
-MOST IMPORTANTLY!! A very good soundstage for gaming positioning

What I've thought about getting:

-k501 (used) with a LDM+
-A700
-A900 (used)
-EH350 with a LDM+
-DT231 with a LDM+

Thank you for your patience and time!

out of your own recommendations.. I'd go with the K501 or the A900..AT900 are better for isolation, which is good if you are playing with others around you..Better focus IMO..501 have ben discontinued..Better get one quick if thats your choice..

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by r1n7r4h
I've heard that the Audio Technica A900s are a good all arounder and if you email MusiciansFriends, they will match Bluetin's price of $168 and any purchase over $100 has free shipping availible and sales tax is only applicable to Utah, Missouri, and Washington.
wink.gif
Just saying for only $18 more. And the A700s aren't as recommended as the A500s, which are suppose to be the poor man's A900s.

Thanks for the advice about talking down the price on MusiciansFriends. However, is there something wrong with just ordering directly from Bluetin? Steep shipping or something? Resellerratings doesn't have the best opinion of MF http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3485.html

Also, the A500s are more similar to the A900s than the A700s are to the A900s? Can anybody confirm this that has listened to all three cans?

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 30
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...=AIMZUKBRH6H15

I just looked at Amazon's ratings since more people have reviewed MF there then anywhere else. And every company is gonna make mistakes some times. And Guitar Center and MF are owned by the same company which could mean absolutely nothing but I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend if I don't buy a new Ipod. And just look at the last 5 months ratings, Amazon and MF are close to each other and I've found that Amazon has been great when ordering my watch and books.

And regarding the A700s and A500s, I've read like every thread about AT when searching so I can't find the exact thread but it looks like the A500s and A900s are more often recommended than the A700s but that could be because most people would just pay the extra $40-50 for the A900s.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 30
Ok, so does anybody else have a bit more in-depth response as to what makes what a good gaming headphone? Despite being closed, is there any advantage to the A900 over the K501? Also, does anybody have any information on my situation with the VSX-305 headphone out?

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 30
beyerdynamic dt770/80

I haven't used an a900 myself but the dt770/80 is bar none the best gaming headphone I have ever used. I play quite a bit of FarCry online and the placement the dt770 provides with FPS games is phenomenal. You can hear guys creeping on you from anywhere and the bass from explosions is superb. Honestly, this headphone alone has increased my skill level and game play so substantially that I just won't even bother playing without them now. It really is a night and day difference.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
beyerdynamic dt770/80

I haven't used an a900 myself but the dt770/80 is bar none the best gaming headphone I have ever used. I play quite a bit of FarCry online and the placement the dt770 provides with FPS games is phenomenal. You can hear guys creeping on you from anywhere and the bass from explosions is superb. Honestly, this headphone alone has increased my skill level and game play so substantially that I just won't even bother playing without them now. It really is a night and day difference.

What amp are you using with it?

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 30
DT770/80 + Sharp LCD + XBOX360 + Call of Duty 2........... WW2 games will never be so intimidating. The sound of tanks in the distance, fighter planes on the sky, the bullets hitting the wall are just so realisitic. The experience is so intense it really makes you sweat!

We've got HD graphics, but not many people have HD sound. I reckon this is the cheapest way in.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

What amp are you using with it?

None. It's plugged straight in to the headphone out of my M-Audio 7.1 soundcard.

I've never used with it an amp to play games and have never found it to be lacking. The only time I use an amp is to listen to music.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 30
for a tight budget i guess try to find a A900 2nd hand. most AKG/beyers/senn full size cans need a half decent amp to drive them so its prob pushing your budget.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 30
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I have another question- how is the A130? The Buyitnow price on ebay is ridiculously cheap and I've read a few good things about them on here when paired with the LDM+. If I get both an LDM+ and the A130 cans I'd still be way under budget, and I'd have an amp for when I decide to upgrade my headphones to something along the lines of the DT770 once I have more money in upcoming months. So, do you think the A130 and LDM+ combo could hold me over until around Christmas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back