Yet Another DIY amp on eBay....
Oct 6, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 4
100% positive feedbacks, it looks like his customers are happy. What more can you ask? All the real headphone connoisseurs are here, so let the masses enjoy, mon...
biggrin.gif

P.S. there are far worse ripoffs out there -- go to www.headphones.com (not headphone.com) and take a quick look at their prices. Kinda puts things in perspective, eh?

Oct 6, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 4
This line confused me a bit:
Quote:

I use a variable gain configuration for my amp because it keeps the signal-to-noise ratio fixed at 100dB no matter what the volume control setting. How does that work? The input signal level in my amp is always at maximum. When you turn down the gain control you also turn down the base-line noise level. So even with the volume turned down very low you get the maximum signal-to-noise ratio.

I thought the input to an amp came from the source? I also don't understand his logic in his first explanation. If an amp's biasing, he uses the expression input signal level, is set to maximum, the signal-to-noise ratio is at its best, and by lowering the biasing you will actually RAISE the SNR. Also, if you lower the output from your source you will also increase noise since the signal drops down and the noise floor remains constant.

Am I off here? Sounds to me like we got some snake oil for sale here, but I could be wrong. It is nearly 3AM you know.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 4
And a Grado RA1 sells for $350. Which one is the better value? If he stuck his amp in a nice timber enclosure and used even more pseudoscience in the description I suspect he'd get four times as much. If he used a hi-tech metal enclosure and really went to town with the BS he'd get ten times as much for the amp and be called "Bose".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back