Yet another cMoy thread -- Grounding issues?
Aug 16, 2007 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jeeger

New Head-Fier
Greetings. As I have just purchased Senn HD595 cans, I now need an amp. I have started (and almost finished) the cMoy, but I still have some noise issues. The sound is good (not that I can tell^^), but in the background, there is a high buzzing that goes away when I touch any grounded component on the board. Am I correct in thinking that this could be a grounding issue?
Thanks for your answer
PS: Yes, pictures are in the works.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes, could be grounding issues.
What type of enclosure do you have? Of which material does it consist? Does your Cmoy run off batteries or via a power supply? Is your source battery/mains powered? Do you use isolated or metal jacks?

These basic questions are in my oppinion even more important than pictures - no use looking at soldering joints if the problem clearly lies somewhere else
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for trying to help.
Now:
1) No enclosure yet. I have one here, but I cant install the jacks, the pot and the switch because there isn't enough room.
2) I don't know, except I know that it's not conductive.
3) Batteries
4) Batteries
5) I think that would be metal jacks.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Is it connected to a source? I made a CMoy without an input jack (wired directly to a plug instead) and it buzzes when it's not connected, or even when the source is turned off. I just sort of assumed it's supposed to be that way. I did make sure that there's a solid, short, sometimes redundant path to ground from every wire that needs to be grounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back