yet another CMOY QUESTIONS thread
Jul 30, 2004 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
I finished my first amp last night(this morning) and I have a couple of questions regarding panel components.

1. I am using a radio shack 1/8 stereo jack with the five pin connection. I assume that the inputs are left, right and ground, but this connector(clear top) has two inputs going to each channel. What are the second connections for?

2. How do you secure the board to the case?

If there is some place I could read about this a link would be fine. I have read tangent's cmoy info front to back, but it gets a little ethereal when panel components come into question. (re. he stops holding my hand)

Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 30, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
I finished my first amp last night(this morning) and I have a couple of questions regarding panel components.

1. I am using a radio shack 1/8 stereo jack with the five pin connection. I assume that the inputs are left, right and ground, but this connector(clear top) has two inputs going to each channel. What are the second connections for?

Two of the connections just go to springs or switches on the jack and are not used. These connectors are identical (or nearly) to Switchcraft. Look thru the clear top and you should be able to see which pin goes to the actual contact for each channel. Do a search for Switchcraft here and you should find a diagram for these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
2. How do you secure the board to the case?

If there is some place I could read about this a link would be fine. I have read tangent's cmoy info front to back, but it gets a little ethereal when panel components come into question. (re. he stops holding my hand)

Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, casing amps is harder than building them... hehe. What kind of case are you using? If its an Altoids tin or other metal case, insulate the bottom and the board just sits in there. If its a Serpac or Pactel or other plastic (non-conductive) case, just put it in. Fastening it down is optional, and up to your imagination. Searching thru here and headwize will uncover lots of info and ideas, tho it is time consuming.

hth,

Chris

Jul 31, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 8
hey thanks.

I think I will stick with the floating board idea as I have a serpac.
biggrin.gif

Just curious then, for what application would it be necessary to hook up the switches in the audio plug?

Jul 31, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

What are the second connections for?

That's a closed-circuit type jack. When the headphone plug is not inserted, the right and left outputs from the jack are connected to the other two lugs, to let some signal pass through the jack. When you plug the headphones in, these two circuits open.

When you plug headphones into a boom box and the speakers cut out, this is how they're doing it.

Quote:

he stops holding my hand

Did you find this article, linked from the CMoy tutorial?

Jul 31, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Did you find this article, linked from the CMoy tutorial?

yep.

The problem is that it went from paint by numbers to paint by description and I got scared. Plus, I think I used up all my brain power reading the "Virtual Ground Circuits" article.

By the way, I know you hear this all the time, but.... your site is the shizznit.

Oh as long as I got you here... Am I missing something, because I can't seem to find out how to connect the power switch into the circuit. I would guess running the "+" from the battery lead through the switch and back to the board but I am sure it is much more complicated then that. Anybody?

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

it went from paint by numbers to paint by description

It's hard to paint by numbers when each different panel component uses different numbers.

Quote:

your site is the shizznit.

Word!
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

I would guess running the "+" from the battery lead through the switch and back to the board

You guess correctly.

Aug 1, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 8
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No hiss, no warbles nothing but music.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Tangent... Once again, you are the man.

Next up, crossfeed. Then I am going to start making pimetas for all my friends.

Aug 2, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Raif,

I actually used some double-sided foam tape to "anchor" my free-floating boards in the Serpac cases (I think they're Serpac) I've used. Having stuff bump around inside the box made me a little nervous, so this seemed like a quick, easy solution.

Good luck!

Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back