Yet another cheap amp thread. Please help anyway.
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 41
Maybe even look at a C&C F1, its made for Mid-Low Impedence IEMS
smily_headphones1.gif
Although its probably a little over your budget... Ive realized recently that spending that little extra can be worth it... alot.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe even look at a C&C F1, its made for Mid-Low Impedence IEMS
smily_headphones1.gif
Although its probably a little over your budget... Ive realized recently that spending that little extra can be worth it... alot.

Well, it's certainly beautiful, and an earlier post called it a perfect match to my IEMs. Do you have one yourself? Can you provide any comments? And would you say it's prefereable to, say, a used Meier Corda Headsix?

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #18 of 41
I dont have one personally, but i was looking at one before i went ahead and got my Govibe Petite
smily_headphones1.gif
Im pretty sure there is a review on here about the F1 also try the Jaben Forums, you might find something on there... A headsix could be a better buy but ive not read much about them, since its basically a Meier Audio XXS. The battery time on the F1 is crazy, instead of changing batterys all the time etc.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elladan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try CMOY ALTOIDS WINTERGREEN HEADPHONE AMP AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 180258172569 end time Jul-02-08 10:40:20 PDT)

It's not a buy it now price, but it hasn't moved thus far; there's even one one there at $12-something right now. But I don't think I'd buy it.

I would recommend posting a WTB ad on the FS forums here before buying a cheap CMoy off of ebay (of course, you need to get to 50 posts before you can post WTB ads, I think). I bought a Mint amp here on Head-Fi a little while back, and I know that they and CMoys can vary a lot in quality and components. Im sure you can get these cheap on ebay, but I would think the quality would not be very good. They still come up on the FS forums here every now and again, and you could also PM member Joshatdot for info on who might be selling these (he is selling custom boards, so might have some additional info on who to ask about building you one or who might have an extra to sell).

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #20 of 41
Elladan; I have 2 cMoys just purchased from Ebay. You're welcome to borrow my amp made by Juice2214 until you have the funds for something better.

Search these forums for posts on his amps (all amp forums since this one is new), it does sound quite nice although with those IEMs the gain might be a little high (you'd need to lower the volume on the Zune to get near a listenable level even at minimum volume on the amp)

Let me know.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elladan; I have 2 cMoys just purchased from Ebay. You're welcome to borrow my amp made by Juice2214 until you have the funds for something better.

LostPhil -- wow, that's a really generous offer! I hope associating with all the nice folks here doesn't become an easy justification for yet another ridiculously expensive long-term habit.
wink.gif

I'm actually possibly inches from getting my hands on a used Meier Corda Headsix; while it will top my budget by a little (and really, who ever sticks to a budget with audio purchases?), which would obviate the need for the loan, though a comparison would be interesting. Along those lines, how would you characterize the sound of Juice's cmoys against higher-end commercial amps that you've listened to/owned? Obviously, I mean in very general terms.

I've also really been looking at a few C&C amps: the Box+, the F1 (based on an earlier reply), and a used Box v2. Any feedback on these would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out an all-site search term that gives me less than 999 results!

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

LostPhil -- wow, that's a really generous offer! I hope associating with all the nice folks here doesn't become an easy justification for yet another ridiculously expensive long-term habit.
wink.gif

I'm actually possibly inches from getting my hands on a used Meier Corda Headsix; while it will top my budget by a little (and really, who ever sticks to a budget with audio purchases?), which would obviate the need for the loan, though a comparison would be interesting. Along those lines, how would you characterize the sound of Juice's cmoys against higher-end commercial amps that you've listened to/owned? Obviously, I mean in very general terms.

I've also really been looking at a few C&C amps: the Box+, the F1 (based on an earlier reply), and a used Box v2. Any feedback on these would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out an all-site search term that gives me less than 999 results!

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elladan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

The cMoys were my first amps! And even then both sound different despite using the same opamps. And to top it off, I haven't even listened to any high end stuff
redface.gif
Unfortunately too poor to afford them or to afford to go to any meets!

Over the standard output of my D2, it's warmer and I can make out a few more details and the stage seems to be wider but it's subtle rather than night or day. It hasn't been burnt in - since Juice's amp only runs on 9v batteries I didn't fancy leaving it running for a while! (hence actually getting biosciencegeek's cMoy too - it has a DC input)

Well the offer's there anyway so just shoot me a pm if you need it.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #24 of 41
Does Juice still make cmoys?
I am very interested in buying a cmoy amp

With a cmoy amp, can you use recharable batteries? or would there be feedback/power issues after a few charges?
as i know that 9v batteries can be expensive after a while.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #26 of 41
D--n you all!!
mad.gif

I should have known that as soon as people started throwing options at me, i'd end up exceeding my budget. I snagged tjumper78's used Meier Corda Headsix for just a hair above my original top end. With good luck, I'll get it this weekend.

I'm with child to see what improvement I experience. But I figure that this is probably as much performance as I'm ever likely to want (in fact, Skylab seems to think it's about as much as I can rightly expect for less than $300 or so). SO, I basically followed early advice and went upmarket. I'll apologize to the wife later. Maybe AFTER the amp arrives, so I can drown out the cursing.

Thanks for all the response here. I'm still pretty interested in the topic, though. And sadly, I can imagine myself buying a C&C F1 at some point...just to see.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 41
$35, is that a good price for a Cmoy or could i get a used one/ get someone to make one for cheaper? or what?i haven't done that much research on the CMoy amp, except for the building part.

How much did you end up spending?

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #28 of 41
From the portable amps Ive tried, the Minibox-E and the mini^3 are the best I've heard in the price range. But probably the easiest way to get the sound you want is to upgrade headphones
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JG33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$35, is that a good price for a Cmoy or could i get a used one/ get someone to make one for cheaper? or what?i haven't done that much research on the CMoy amp, except for the building part.

How much did you end up spending?

I bought Juice's then a week later bought this one.

I don't think the prices have changed. I just went for these rather than another cMoy because the sellers seem to be known for decent cMoys on here rather than get the cheapest possible.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

I bought Juice's then a week later bought this one.

LostPhil, what are your thoughts as to construction of these amps? Three3three3's amps are built on custom PCB boards which to a tyro like me makes them seem more desirable than an amp built on other boards. Biosciencegeek makes his on what I believe is known as a stripboard, which requires him to actually lay down wires for circuits, but does seem really robust. Sharpywarpy, among many others uses something else (see pics on this linked page: Cmoy Headphone Amplifier with Blue LED - eBay (item 280242261942 end time Jul-09-08 13:06:57 PDT) )
Is that protoboard? It seems the most inelegant construction, but I really know very little about this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back