Yet another bodybuilding thread...
May 24, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 30
Get into some martial arts, It helps /everything/. Strenagh, agility, speed, flexibility, and especially endurance!

May 24, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
I don't eat breakfast.lol

I know, I know. I should eat breakfast. I am working on it.

thats really bad for you, look into getting down the proper meal times before all those vitamin shakes. Eating a breakfast also starts your metabolism up earlier so you burn more calories. With sleep, i find naps don't help at all, they only screw up my sleep cycle more so I can't get to bed that night. Also, if you are sleeping in every morning until noon letting your muscles rest, wake up around 630-700 and drink a protien shake and head back into bed.

Or you could try the following approach. Forget all these supplements and eating habits and calorie measurements, do it the good old fashioned way. Cut out all the junk food, eat from all the food groups, and work your ass off. I think very little people actually try this, they spend more time shopping for protien and mixing shakes then they do working out. Unless you have a very unhealthy lifestyle, the harder you work the more you gain. If you train 5 hours a day 3 times a week, and compare yourself with a guy who did the same workout with shakes and supplements, it will look pretty close. You wont get "ripped off" for your efforts because you didnt take set pill or set diet.

May 24, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 30
Thanks to all. I've made a couple of decisions and buys. Sticking with protein, cla, and amino acids(jpr703 I did not read that amino acids would be covered in protein shakes before I bought them. so if it makes no difference I will quit. thx for the input.) I don't feel like I need creatine...yet. I make gained weight pretty fast while taking protein around august-october(10lbs). So until I get "stuck" I think I will stay away.

As for my workout, I'll focus on bulking up, but I will bike for around 20 min after my lifting just to help. My goal is to gain a higher rep count for 185lbs on bench and get my legs a bit bigger(yeah I know, one mighty task). And hopefully this will happen by the end of summer. My workout is as follows:

Monday-Chest, Tuesday-Shoulders, Wednesday-Legs, Thursday-Back, Friday-Arms, Sat-Sun Rest.

This has worked pretty well. I've never lifted a weight before last summer and now I maxxing out at 250lbs, curling 45lbs, and squating(I'll keep this to myself,lol). So I think this plan works pretty well.

Thanks to you all for refining my workout and eating plans. Btw what are some healthy foods to eat? I eat PB&J sandwiches, boiled eggs, fruit, chicken, potatoes, cheese, yogurt, hot dogs(they have to go).

Once again thanks.

May 24, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 30
You are waiting too long between workouts for each muscle group. Excercising your chest once every 7 days is no good for building decent mass.

Try altering your workout routine. For example for 2 weeks run an opposing muscle group routine. It will translate into a bit longer in the gym, but the results will show. Also, doing 3-4 excercises per group is more than enough as long as you are working past failure.

Monday
Chest/Back

Tuesday
bicepts/legs

Wednesday
Tricepts/Shoulders

Thursday
Rest

Friday
Chest/Back

Saturday
Bis/Legs

Sunday
Tris/Shoulders

Monday
Rest

Repeat

Then go back to your spaced out routine for 1 week, then back on the opposing muscle group routine.

May 24, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #20 of 30
Try some Flax Seed Oil, seemed to work for Barry.
icon10.gif

Baring that, I say lots of cardio, less weight, more reps, 3 times a week, take off on the weekends. If a pool is available swim inbetween the 3 workout days. Dont eat after midnight. Ive done this, in 12 weeks you'll be a lean mean machine. Heres my work out

mon - chest, arms, back, run 2 miles
tue - swim 1600m, run 2 miles
wed - chest, arms, back, bike 10 mile
thur- swim 1600m, run 2 miles
fri - chest, arms, back, swim 1600m
sat-sun rest or very light jogging/swiming

if you are just starting out, dont worry about distance, run/swim/bike for time (ie. run 15m, swim 20m, bike 30m) as you get more used to the work out increase the time you work your cardio. Soon you will be doing these distances with no problem. Good luck

May 25, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 30
This is just a basic plan I use as a guideline for my workouts. Sometimes I change it to a 4-day plan, or even a 6-day plan depending on how heavy I happen to be lifting at that time. Sometimes I split train, or even include another day on day 4 because it can be rough. I will usually hit the stationary bike, or swim 2, or 3 times on the 5-day plan depending upon my goals at that time of the year.

DAY 1

Bench
Chest Flies
Shoulder Press

DAY 2

Shoulder extensions
Upright rows
Tricep extensions

DAY 3

Bicep curls
Forearm curls
Abs

DAY 4

Squats
Dead lifts
Leg extensions/curls

DAY 5

Upper back rows/Lat pull downs
Calves
Abs

May 25, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #22 of 30
Creatine is far from necessary, but I had pretty good luck with it. Wasn't trying to be a bodybuilder or look all ripped (to give you an idea, working out makes me look kind of like a small version of the guys on that world's strongest man show - I get big but not defined). But it seemed to help me complete more sets and had the added side-effect (benefit?) of making my muscles swell and harden. I think it was the Twinlabs brand. It was creatine monohydrate and creatine pyruvate (which I think is supposed to be more bioavailable than the monohydrate) and in pill form, which was nice cause powders are messy.

May 26, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 30
Well, I went to the gym yesterday and the trainer gave me a free session. I've never worked so hard. The problem is that they charge $24 per session and I am only a college student.lol But it was well worth it. I worked out my chest in 30 minutes flat. I rested shorter in between sets and completed every last rep. It was intense. Since school has let out, I've felt unmotivated(if that is even a word) because there is no one but in the gym. I think I'll just have to fork over the money because if I work out like that every day then I'll be where I want to be in no time.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Well, I went to the gym yesterday and the trainer gave me a free session. I've never worked so hard. The problem is that they charge $24 per session and I am only a college student.lol But it was well worth it.

Get him a beer and make friends. Maybe he will guide you for free.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Well, I went to the gym yesterday and the trainer gave me a free session. I've never worked so hard. The problem is that they charge $24 per session and I am only a college student.lol But it was well worth it. I worked out my chest in 30 minutes flat. I rested shorter in between sets and completed every last rep. It was intense. Since school has let out, I've felt unmotivated(if that is even a word) because there is no one but in the gym. I think I'll just have to fork over the money because if I work out like that every day then I'll be where I want to be in no time.
smily_headphones1.gif

No no no, that is a rip off. Trust me, get your butt over to the Forums over at bodybuilding.com, those guys know exactly what their doing (don't go into the teens forum, they don't.)

Do some research and in the end you will be happy.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 30
No, its not that I don't know what I'm doing. It's that in the gym I have no motivation. Everyone went home for the summer and there is no one to lift with me. That means I can barely get a spot at times.

May 27, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #28 of 30
i take creatine (trac) glutamine and arginine. Those 3 are pretty good supplements. Ive heard about the benefits of N02 but have not taken it (too damn expensive). Creatine does make you feel bloated sometimes though. If you want to lose that fat you could try to induce ketosis(dangerous if you dont know your body). I personally dont like whey protein or any protein that comes from a wheat substance, Id rather take a pure protein source (eggs, meat).

Learn to lift without a spotter, your gonna give your spotters massive traps!
icon10.gif

May 27, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxhotchikxx
Learn to lift without a spotter, your gonna give your spotters massive traps!
icon10.gif

The reason I don't like lifting without spotter is because I can't push myself to that extreme limit. If I did, they weight could end up falling down on me which we all know is an embarrasment in the gym.
icon10.gif

May 27, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #30 of 30
Given the amount of time you're going to spend eating food and exercising to get tone, you might consider getting a part-time job lifting weights and the like to accomplish that goal. A place like Fedex/UPS or a moving company will build you up and you get paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back