Yet Another Big Review Thread: Sennheiser HD555, HD595, HD580, PX100, Grado SR225
Jan 14, 2006 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dinglehoser

100+ Head-Fier
Grab a beer and relax with your favorite pair of cans - this is a long one.

Headphones:
HD555
HD595
HD580
PX100
Grado SR225

Equipment:
M-Audio Audiophile 192 (64-bit driver)
Rega Planet CDP
Rega Ear headphone amp
NAD C320BEE integrated amp
5G iPod 30GB

The long story:
I'm going to break this down first by source type, then by headphone.

5G iPod, unamplified
HD555: Easily driven by the iPod. Bass extends fairly low and is quite accurate, with no discernable midbass hump. Mids are very slightly recessed and the highs are a little peaky, but extend pretty well. Slight rolloff in the highest frequencies. Subjectively, these headphones sound GREAT with acoustic and vocal jazz, female vocals, and any orchestral or solo classical music. They have enough impact to be competent with most rock and electronica and enough bass weight to deal with rap, but they tend to sound a little congested with heavier music like metal and industrial music. Spacious soundstage and precise imaging - almost speakerlike. Overall, through the iPod, a smooth, relaxing listen that's involving enough to be thoroughly enjoyable with just about every type of music.

HD595 (50 ohm): These seem a little less efficient than the 555s, but are still driven by the iPod without much effort. The mids seem a little more open relative to the 555s and the overall presentation is slightly brighter. Bass extends further but has less weight. One thing that they give up to the 555s is impact response - these 'phones are definitely not groovalizers. Blacker between the notes. They resolve a bit more detail, likely a result of the hotter top end. Somewhat airier sounding than the 555s. If you like flat-sounding cans, these are for you, but unamped, I significantly preferred the sound of the 555s.

HD580: The iPod just doesn't have the juice to properly power the HD580s. The overall sound was pretty thin and really ... uh, boring. There was no bass impact, the mids and mid-highs were pretty recessed, and I found myself staring into space on the same tracks that got my feet tapping with the 555s. Nice sense of space, though. These really cry out for amplification.

PX100 (new CCAW version): As you might expect for a headphone meant for portable use, the iPod was able to power the PX100s to ear-splitting volume. These guys have no business being so cheap - they sounded great. They have less bass extension than the 555s and a bit of a hump in the midbass, but the midrange had very similar characteristics to both the 555 and 595 - a little recessed, but warm and open. Where they really fall apart is in the treble - once the cymbals kick in, you're a little startled by the total collapse of the soundstage. There's definitely enough of the high stuff, but it's pretty grainy and the sound just sits in your head. For $50, though, I shouldn't be complaining. And I'm not, because I own these as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

SR225: These are my babies. I've had them for 8 years, and the only way you can take them away from me is to dig up my grave after I've been buried. :rs1: These are THE headphones for rock. Sure, they're uncomfortable, and yeah, they're a little strident in the highs, but they make up for in just about every other way. They involve the listener like no other headphones I've ever tried. Female vocals are unbelievably intimate - as another Headfier put it, you feel your ear's being tongued. (If you've got a pair of 225s, listen to Tori Amos' 'Little Amsterdam'. Trust me.) Accuracy and neutrality fans need not apply. If you want music, these are for you. There is a sense of some sort of soundstage, but it's a very upfront and narrow one. It should say something about the 555s that even after having spent a couple hours with my 225s, the 555s don't seem dull or slow, just different. Kind of like a light chaser after a night of carousing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rega Planet/Rega Ear
HD555: When amped by a warm headphone amp and a warm CDP, these cans are unbelievably smooth but still impressively detailed. The bass filled out a lot and the highs extend further. The midrange becomes more fleshed out and 'liquid'. The imaging becomes even more focused. The overall result is very, very pleasing.

HD595 (50 ohm): The 595s respond similarly to the 555s with amplification - more bass, more congruent mids, and cleaner highs. The sound signature with an amp is very similar to that of the 555s, but now with less mid resonance and a little more extension on both ends. A great sense of space, even better than that of the 555s and definitely improved with amplification. Better overall than the 555s when amped, but the improvement is subtle enough that I'm not sure if the cost difference is justified.

HD580: Now that's better. The 580s like the Rega combo - the tonality is now close to dead-on but don't sound analytical. They are still lacking in snap, however - just listen to the smack of a tight snare and you'll hear what I mean. With amplification, the 580s are better than the 555s and 595s for classical music and male vocals (Lou Rawls is really something with the 580s). The most focused imaging of the bunch - the soundstage is also very wide. I still think the 555s and 595s are better for rock, jazz, and female vocals, though.

PX100 (new CCAW version): The PX100s sound pretty dumpy with the Rega combo, unfortunately. The bass is really bloated and the highs haven't really changed. Keep these for the portable rig and away from the amp. Next ...

SR225: The change in sound is pretty subtle when the 225s are amped. The highs are a little less harsh and the bass is louder (but not deeper). The mids gain even more presence - Tori's not just tonguing your ear anymore, but she's ... uhhhhh ...
tongue.gif

AP 192/NAD C320BEE
HD555: Very similar sound to the Rega combo. I think I can discern more treble detail, the mids are a touch less present, and the bass is a little higher in level. The differences are pretty subtle though. The soundstage is unaffected relative to the Rega combo. If you're a little surprised that a computer sound card and the headphone out of an integrated amp can have comparable quality to a dedicated headphone setup, that makes at least two of us.
smily_headphones1.gif

HD595 (50 ohm): See notes for HD555. The C320BEE has a very clean headphone out that powers the Sennheisers very well.

HD580: The 580s sounded best (!) with this combo. The sound could best be described as similar to that of the Rega combo with the addition of a fuller bass and more midrange presence. The treble also gains some detail. The soundstage compresses somewhat and imaging The overall effect is to grant the 580s a little bit of life that they seem to otherwise lack. Very nice. Different than the 555, but not better in my opinion.

PX100 (new CCAW version): Do yourself a favor and keep the PX100s far, far away from the C320BEE. The bass loses all sense of control - it's like someone dumped a pound of mayo on top of your negi hamachi hosomaki. The mids stay largely unchanged (thankfully), but the treble drops off and retain their innate graininess. Seems like there's an impedence mismatch between the 32 ohm PX100s and the headphone out of the C320BEE.

SR225: The Grados gain a lot of smoothness and midrange 'bloom' with this combo, which is great. The treble is further tamed, and the bass gains a little bit of a hump. Unfortunately, the sharp impulse response is also dulled. The AP/NAD combo changes the sound of the Grados significantly - whether it's for the worse or the better is in the ears of the beholder.
smily_headphones1.gif

The short story:
The headphones I was most surprised by were the HD555s. I needed a pair of cans that I could wear all day at work, perform well with all types of music, and which could easily be driven by an unamped iPod source. The 555s fit the bill, and then some. They were my favorites of the group when run from an unamped source, but they also responded to amplification very well. They are excellent all-around headphones, especially considering the price.

The 595s deliver a similar sound to the 555s; better in most respects when amped, but inferior when unamped. The 580s are definitely a high-class pair of 'phones, but they weren't my flavor. They also need gobs of amplification to sound good.

The PX100s are excellent phones for (extremely) portable use - they give very little up to their much bigger brothers when coming straight out of a portable, with the exception of soundstage ... as in the soundstage is completely nonexistent.
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR225s are definitely a headphone you either love or hate. It has a way with music - it's as if it's part of the recording as opposed to just a device meant to portray it. These are special headphones, no doubt about it, but they aren't right for everything. Think of them as the little sports car you keep in the garage for a spirited weekend romp, and the 555s as the comfortable highway cruiser you take to work every day and on long road trips.

Feel free to drop me a message if you've got any questions. Thanks for reading!

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Ah, Tori, come whisper your sweet nothings into my ear.

Thanks for my first eargasm!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Good read, thanks! It would be interesting to know what's inside the NAD. Judging by your comments, it'll certainly have a non-zero output impedance.

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 6
You are correct. As far as I understand, the headphone out is simply shunted from the main amplified output with a bunch of resistors. I read somewhere that the output impedance is somewhere around 150 ohms. Don't quote me on that, though ...

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 6
WHAT A GREAT REVIEW MATE !!!

I got my Senn HD555`s yesterday , dont get me wrong , I love my HD485`s to bits, but the HD555`s are just more "together" in my opinion as it just sounds like the music is held together tighter and is presented in a more balanced and inherently musical fashion.

Only downside to the 555`s is that they leak sound like crazy , doesnt bother me one jot but I am envisaging a lot of nagging from my missus and kids over this .

The Tori Amos reference raised a smile on my face , first album I called up on my Vision Zen M was Tori Amos live at Montreux in 1991 !! Where the 555`s truly shine is in the natural note decay of her piano, you can hear the transient peaks of each note she plays and the decay of same also. It was noted that the 555`s are blessed with female vocals......put on carribean blue by enya from the shepherds moon album and put a mirror in front of you so you can watch the smile on your face.

Once again, great work mate .
smile_phones.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 6
thanks for the review! i've landed on a pair of 595s and an ibasso d10 which i haven't actually received yet, and this post is helping me not regret the purchase (difficult with so many different opinions on headfi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back