Yet another Audio-Technica ATH-M50x vs Sennheiser HD 598SE thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kanvict

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for creating another thread asking you to help decide between these two headphones. I have read several threads regarding this topic (on this site and others) but I am still confused and wanted to ask again, this time with my personal preferences. Additionally, I am not an audiophile and am just getting into the game so I'm not too familiar or experienced with certain audio terminology, besides their basic definitions.

Here are my conditions:

- no preference between open or closed back
- portability is not a factor
- cost: <$200 USD
- music: trance, house, EDM, hip hop, rap, pop, R&B
- movies/TV shows and sports: regularly watch action/adventure, thriller, and comedy genres. Also stream a lot of sports.
- gaming: practically none

I don't think the last two points matter too much  but I included them just in case. Now, I've read that the HD 598s are better at everything in terms of sound quality, except for bass. But for the music I listen to, would the M50x be more suitable? What about for movies and sports?

I should note that I've actually very briefly used both these headphones recently and have noticed what is generally said about them. The 598s are very comfortable and light, and provide a more "balanced", pleasant, and calmer sound. However, the M50x really jump the music right at you with their bass and are louder and "livelier". But, at the same time, I also noticed that sometimes the high pitches on the M50x were sharp to the point of almost being uncomfortable. Sorry if I'm not explaining this properly but I hope you understand. Regardless, I haven't tested either pair of headphones long enough to really judge which would suit me better. Even then, since I'm new to this audiophile business, I don't think my ears are experienced enough yet to really differentiate the little nuances of quality.

I suppose that if the 598s had better bass, then it'd be an easy decision, especially since I'm able to get them for cheaper ($90 vs $130 for the M50x). But I just want to make sure that I don't miss out on the better fit for my needs. I should also note that I have no intention of buying a dac/amp anytime soon, though I eventually hope to someday.

Alternatively, if there are other headphones out there which are better value for money than these two, I am open to suggestions. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 24
You might be better off with a closed headphone if you want good bass for those genres of music.  Take a look at the AKG K553 Pro, they have a nice detailed top end that isn't as harsh as some of the V-shaped cans like ATH/Beyer, and the low end is pretty solid, but not boomy and doesn't muddy up the mid-range.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 24
You should read about the Fidelio X1.
It will give you the soundstage of HD598 and also powerful bass like M50x

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 24
I personally have a pair of HD518s and also a pair of ATH-M50x. I have tried a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 (not the se version though). I like the ATH-M50x best it has the more natural sound signature IMO. Of course the HD 598 has a better soundstage, but the soundstage is not really that amazing. If soundstage is important to you I would go with Audio Technica AUD ATHAD500X. Or spend more to get HD600s or HD650s.

Hope my humble opinion helped!

Good luck.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 24
Thank you all for the replies.

You might be better off with a closed headphone if you want good bass for those genres of music.  Take a look at the AKG K553 Pro, they have a nice detailed top end that isn't as harsh as some of the V-shaped cans like ATH/Beyer, and the low end is pretty solid, but not boomy and doesn't muddy up the mid-range.

So are V-shaped headphones not good for my music preferences? I will do some research on the K553 Pros. Not many reviews on Amazon.com, however. And not even available on Amazon.ca. Are these a hidden gem or an older model now or something?

You should read about the Fidelio X1.
It will give you the soundstage of HD598 and also powerful bass like M50x

I have seen the Fidelios (X1 and X2) suggested as alternates to the 598s and M50x by several people. I'll keep an eye on them for sales but, unfortunately, they seem to be out of my price range.

I personally have a pair of HD518s and also a pair of ATH-M50x. I have tried a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 (not the se version though). I like the ATH-M50x best it has the more natural sound signature IMO. Of course the HD 598 has a better soundstage, but the soundstage is not really that amazing. If soundstage is important to you I would go with Audio Technica AUD ATHAD500X. Or spend more to get HD600s or HD650s.

Hope my humble opinion helped!

Good luck.

I think the only difference between 598 and 598SE is that the SE is in black and has an extra, shorter cable. Is soundstage important for the type of music I listen to (trance, EDM, hip hop)? It seems like, since it's objective is to give a sense of spatial awareness of different instruments around you, it would be more relevant for musical genres like classical and rock, no? Unfortunately, the HD600 and HD650 are way above my budget right now but I guess I'll look into the ATHAD500x if you believe they would suit my listening needs.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 24

I have seen the Fidelios (X1 and X2) suggested as alternates to the 598s and M50x by several people. I'll keep an eye on them for sales but, unfortunately, they seem to be out of my price range.

You should also consider the Soundmagic HP-200.
The Fidelio L2 might work too.

Yamaha HPH-200 (On Ear) are pretty good for your preferred genres and can be found really cheap these days. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 24
  So are V-shaped headphones not good for my music preferences? I will do some research on the K553 Pros. Not many reviews on Amazon.com, however. And not even available on Amazon.ca. Are these a hidden gem or an older model now or something?

I personally don't prefer the V-shaped sound, the mids are recessed and the highs are a bit too forward for me.  Some people like this sound for electronic and bass heavy music, but for me it doesn't sound as good with acoustical and progressive rock music.

The K553 are pretty neutral, they were released earlier this year and are the successor to the K550.  I haven't heard the K550 but it seems the new ones have better bass and a touch less emphasis on the high end, making them a good choice for my taste.

AKG is also releasing the K550 Mk II, which should essentially be the same as the K553.  The K550 is part of the their home use section, whereas the K553 is in the pro sound section, probably just for marketing.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 24
I think the only difference between 598 and 598SE is that the SE is in black and has an extra, shorter cable. Is soundstage important for the type of music I listen to (trance, EDM, hip hop)? It seems like, since it's objective is to give a sense of spatial awareness of different instruments around you, it would be more relevant for musical genres like classical and rock, no? Unfortunately, the HD600 and HD650 are way above my budget right now but I guess I'll look into the ATHAD500x if you believe they would suit my listening needs.

The Audio-Technica AD500X are cool but I actually meant to recommend the Audio-Technica AD700X. They have a great soundstage! Look at some reviews on this site!

All the best!

/Mads

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 24

The Audio-Technica AD500X are cool but I actually meant to recommend the Audio-Technica AD700X. They have a great soundstage! Look at some reviews on this site!

All the best!

/Mads

Those have good soundstage but are light on the bass. Not that great for:

Kanvict
 music: trance, house, EDM, hip hop, rap, pop, R&B

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 24
Assuming they go on sale again I would suggest the DT770 pro over the M50x, and contrary to what others have said I felt the HD598 to have sufficient bass and even more so with proper amping.

I also preferred the A900x over the M50x but may be considered bass light as well.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 24
Hey, everyone. Once again, thanks for the responses!

So I guess this is the list:

- AKG K553 Pro
- Soundmagic HP-200
- Fidelio L2
- Yamaha HPH-200
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
- Audio-Technica A900x

I understand that everyone's hearing is different and not everyone has tried all of these but is there any order in which I should prioritize these?

Keeping in mind that my music genres are: trance, house, EDM, hip hop, rap, pop, R&B.

But I guess most of you don't really recommend the HD 598 or M50x for me, huh? I'm always open to more ideas as well.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 24
  Hey, everyone. Once again, thanks for the responses!

So I guess this is the list:

- AKG K553 Pro
- Soundmagic HP-200
- Fidelio L2
- Yamaha HPH-200
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
- Audio-Technica A900x

I understand that everyone's hearing is different and not everyone has tried all of these but is there any order in which I should prioritize these?

Keeping in mind that my music genres are: trance, house, EDM, hip hop, rap, pop, R&B.

But I guess most of you don't really recommend the HD 598 or M50x for me, huh? I'm always open to more ideas as well.

I think the m50x is a great option! You will not need a amp for them which make them a lot cheaper compared to some of the headphones on the list you have now. I am not saying that the m50x is the greatest (that is a matter of taste) but i do think they deserve to be on the list. Also if it is not important to you to be able to change the cable on the headphone you could go for the m50 (not the m50x) and save some money there. I have a pair of m50x and I am very happy with them!
If you have specific questions about the m50x I am happy to attempt to answer them!

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 24
  I think the m50x is a great option! You will not need a amp for them which make them a lot cheaper compared to some of the headphones on the list you have now. I am not saying that the m50x is the greatest (that is a matter of taste) but i do think they deserve to be on the list. Also if it is not important to you to be able to change the cable on the headphone you could go for the m50 (not the m50x) and save some money there. I have a pair of m50x and I am very happy with them!
If you have specific questions about the m50x I am happy to attempt to answer them!

When I first started researching for my first audiophile headphones a month or so ago, the M50x quickly became my first choice simply because of how popular they were (I mean, they have a 4.7/5 rating from 2600+ reviews on Amazon.com!). Then Black Friday came and the HD 598SE (themselves rated 4.6/5 from 1700+ reviews) went on a huge sale for $90 USD so I quickly jumped on them. I only just got to opening them today but, like I noticed before when comparing the two, the 598 are more comfortable and pleasant sounding but not as lively or bassy as the M50x.

To be honest, I'm still confused as to which one to get (or keep). I even considered buying and keeping both but I've decided I don't want to do that. And now I've got a whole other set of headphones from that list above to look at. It's starting to get a little overwhelming. In fact, I've also started looking at more expensive ones like the V-Moda M-100, HD 600/650, and Fidelio X1/X2, lol. But unless they go on mega sales themselves, those ones are out of my budget. I love that there are so many choices but I wish it was easier to find the one that is the best-value-for-money and best-value-for-my preferences.

Anyway, moving on from my rambling, may you please tell me what kind of music you listen to with your M50x? Do you use them for watching movies/TV shows as well?

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 24
I totally understand why you are overwhelmed! I am currently looking for a new headphone amp for my Shure 1840s and I feel the same :/

Anyways, owning the HD518 and M50X, i agree that the HD518 is more comfortable out of the box. I however just got a new pair own earpads (from brainwaves for 15 usd) which have added a lot of comfort to them. (I would still give the edge in comfort to the HD518 or the HD598 in your case)

Now that you already got the HD598 I would recommend that you just stick with those and try not to worry about if you could have gotten something better.

The longer you stick with them the longer you can save up for a better pair of headphones. So unless you are really unhappy with them you dont need to get a new pair straight away. IMO it is also better to get 1 good pair of headphones compared to 2 or 3 worse ones.

Regarding your question about what I use my M50X for: Since obtaining the Shure 1840 I use them for pretty much everything right at home right now. I do however exclusively use my M50X when I am outside or traveling (mostly for music) as they are sturdy and less expensive compared to the 1840s. I also would never use openback headphones outside so the HD518 or 1840s wouldnt work there.
If I didnt have the 1840s I would be happy to use the M50X at home too for music, tv shows and movies.
Before I got the 1840s I would use the HD518 a lot for home use since they were setup for it and they were a bit more comfortable compared to the M50X. The sound IMO was actually better in the M50X but I didnt feel like switching to the M50X (which I had been wearing out and about all day).

I can be a bit lazy :wink:

/Mads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back