Yes, that's right....Cerwin-Vega/NHT SuperOne connection
Sep 16, 2004 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
clsc6.jpg

Just a heads-up to a potential sonic bargain.

Cerwin-Vega is not a brand that gets a lot of notice here. I was browsing through audioasylum.com and came across a thread about C-V's new Classic series. Looks like the new series was designed by Bill Bush, the man behind NHT's SuperOne. Since I am one who prefer small monitors, C-V's CLSC-6, with a 6 1/2" woofer, was the only choice in the series. Let's see....Vifa soft-dome tweeter, horn-loaded (sorta), cast aluminum woofer frames, etc.... all for less that $200.00/pair over at J&R.

Cerwin-Vega CLSC-6 info

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, even the bookshelf model is quite big. On the other hand, it's about the same size at my Energy C-3.

Looks kinda like the JBL HLS-610, a highly regarded yet inexpensive bookshelf speaker from about 4 years ago. I had a pair of those, sounded excellent.

I just wonder how this speaker sounds....given its designer was one who created one of those future "classics" speaker model. C-V doesn't get a lot of notice from audiophiles, justifiably so, but this may be a signal of change. And if these turns out to be good sounding, those of us who crave low cost, yet high performance, speakers will have another choice.

Certainly an alternative to Klipsch.

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Assuming the 90dB sensitivity rating is accurate, the Cerwin-Vega will be a relatively easy speaker to drive for almost all amps. OK, maybe those flea-power 3 watts/channel tube amp may pose a problem.

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Assuming the 90dB sensitivity rating is accurate, the Cerwin-Vega will be a relatively easy speaker to drive for almost all amps. OK, maybe those flea-power 3 watts/channel tube amp may pose a problem.

I know, I was kinda joking. Seriously though, the main horn-user that Klipsch has to really deal with is JBL, they're high-end horn-loaded stuff is awesome.

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 7
You mean the JBL K2 series? I like a pair of those when I hit the lottery jackpot, please
biggrin.gif

I believe Klipsch was the only mainstream horn-loaded speaker company after JBL stopped producing its HLS (horn-loaded speaker?) series several years back. I had a pair of the HLS-610 bookshelfs, which for $200.00/pair was shockingly good. Surprisingly inefficient at 87dB but very neutral....tight bass and very warm sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back